Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What useful benefits does NFCU have?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What useful benefits does NFCU have?

Now that we've joined one of the most prestigious credit unions in the US, are there any benefits of having an account besides all the financial stuff they offer online or in branch? For example, can I get discounted meals at Denny's or stuff of this nature if I'm in NFCU? Something like being an AARP member, but for being an NFCU member instead.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What useful benefits does NFCU have?

Might not even get a mortgage with them anymore lol

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/finance/navy_federal.html

Message 2 of 25
minski
Established Contributor

Yowch. 

I opened with them for a Cash Rewards credit card. Now, I'm not so sure I trust them even with a credit card (haven't applied for the card yet). 

Message 3 of 25
baller4life
Super Contributor

Wow. Minski you don't have to be afraid of NFCU. They are one of the most generous CUs out there. Especially to those rebuilding. But, it is no secret that they are meaner than a junkyard dog if you don't pay your bills. They are the largest and richest CU in the country. And they take protecting their assets very seriously. But, as long as you pay your bills, you will be fine. Many of us here have been members for years and have had nothing but phenomenal service.
Message 4 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@baller4life wrote:
Wow. Minski you don't have to be afraid of NFCU. They are one of the most generous CUs out there. Especially to those rebuilding. But, it is no secret that they are meaner than a junkyard dog if you don't pay your bills. They are the largest and richest CU in the country. And they take protecting their assets very seriously. But, as long as you pay your bills, you will be fine. Many of us here have been members for years and have had nothing but phenomenal service.

+1

Another thing to consider is since they are a credit union (and not a bank) any losses literally impact the membership as a whole, since the credit union is owned by the members.  Significant losses will eventually result in lower savings rates, and higher credit rates for all members.

For better or for worse, it would be irresponsible to the other members if they didn't aggressively go after the few who don't pay their bills.  Note that I've personally had hard times in my own life, so I'm not without empathy, but 'it is what it is'. 

Personally I'm thrilled to be with NFCU, and I look forward to a long, mutually beneficial relationship for years to come!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Agree with baller4 and UncleB on their excellent points here. I will second baller4's comment above about paying on time - although I'm new to them and haven't had an issue, I've seen many reviews of NFCU on which people had accounts locked up for being a few days late with a payment. So I'd just be careful with that.

I had a rocky entry into Navy Federal but that has been made up for by their excellent service, 24/7 availability, nice features including mobile deposit, and their wonderful willingness to do things such as lower my credit card interest rate 4% via a PC even though I am a new member. The rep even told me to try the new lower rate card for 30 days, and that I could switch back to my other card after 30 days if I wished to. Now that's customer service!

I also will add that in this climate of economic uncertainty, getting in with the largest credit union in the world can be a wise move. If the economy goes upside down as it did in 2008-2009, certainly banks won't be our best friends. Neither can we say that credit unions will be; however, the member relationship is different than a customer relationship, and that means something.

The fiscal strength of NFCU (I believe it is around 77 billion strong in assets right now) is another positive indicator that makes me feel good about my choice. I'd rather be in with the largest credit union in the world than Mom and Pop Credit Union with 2 branches, especially if the economy goes south.

Their willingness to grow credit cards and help in any way possible is another plus. The relationship paves the way to many possibilities in the future.

Many servicemembers worldwide rely on Navy Federal to help with their financial needs, and that is a vote of confidence that increases my own.

I'm sure there are more positives that I will discover along the way. I can only say I am thankful to be a Navy Federal member.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that we've joined one of the most prestigious credit unions in the US, are there any benefits of having an account besides all the financial stuff they offer online or in branch? For example, can I get discounted meals at Denny's or stuff of this nature if I'm in NFCU? Something like being an AARP member, but for being an NFCU member instead.

paperchasers, this membermall feature may be another feature you were inquiring about in terms of discounts:

https://www.navyfederal.org/membership-benefits/offers-discounts/member-mall.php

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:

Yep. I read through dozens of those negative reviews, and most are people blaming NFCU for their own mistakes. One example: Guy opens checking account, deposits checks, withdraws money, and some of the deposited checks then bounce, putting him in overdraft. Checking account was shut down since it was brand new, and a very common fraud is to open an account deposit checks, withdraw the money and vanish. And this is NFCU's fault?

Message 8 of 25
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

Yep. I read through dozens of those negative reviews, and most are people blaming NFCU for their own mistakes. One example: Guy opens checking account, deposits checks, withdraws money, and some of the deposited checks then bounce, putting him in overdraft. Checking account was shut down since it was brand new, and a very common fraud is to open an account deposit checks, withdraw the money and vanish. And this is NFCU's fault?

+1

I looked though a couple of pages there, and I agree, I had to really struggle to find something that even "might" be the fault of NFCU.

Some of the mortgage concerns might (?) have some validity, but from my past life in real estate I can say that there are so many moving parts to a new mortgage that issues are not uncommon in any case, especially when a non-local originator is used... that's hardly unique to NFCU.

Even after reading the 'scuttlebutt', I think I'll "take my chances" with NFCU.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 25
baller4life
Super Contributor

People wouldn't believe the MASSIVE amount of fraud NFCU deals with on a daily basis. I don't blame them for having such a insanely thorough Security dept or intense collection practices. It is really absurd how much they have to deal with. Just Google NFCU fraud. It's bananas. Here's just one example:

http://www.13newsnow.com/mb/news/va-beach-man-pleads-guilty-to-defrauding-navy-federal-credit-union/...
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.