cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is everyone here a member of Navy Federal Credit Union?

tag
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Why is everyone here a member of Navy Federal Credit Union?

@ justagirl73, paid for my membership to the Navy League last night!.Smiley Happy Now have to await the papers to come so i can begin the process for membership. My plan is still to garden til 2018, to eliminate all my inqs but i may be able to slide one app in for November as i have an inquiery that i should have never gotten Smiley Sad fall off my EQ. so in essence i could still head to the garden happy and if they accept me and a cc , 2017 will be on lock down haha! Only not too sure which card i should go for with a low income Smiley Wink.
Message 11 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to give you some insight on the best card for you to apply for! ☺️

Message 12 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@baller4life wrote:
Greatest CU on the planet hands down! 😆

Why, because you can ACH pull from your other banks...NO

Because there are branches everywhere...NO

Because they have the best rates on CD's, savings, checking, auto loans, CC, mortagages, NO.

Why are they the best CU on the planet?

Best for high starting limits on CC for people with damaged credit, then I would agree.

Alliant, PenFed and several others beat them hands down with rates and ease of use. 

Message 13 of 48
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

AverageJoe...Your jumping on board huh, well good for you.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 14 of 48
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@tussking wrote:

Because the customer is #1 not their executives ! They treat you amazing and their products and customer service is superior to EVERY OTHER BANK OR CU.

According to their T&C for their cards at the following 2 links below, the lowest APR they offer is 8.24% V.   There's a lot of other CUs out there that have lower rates than that, if a low APR is what is desired in a card.  Even the Barclay Ring is only very slightly 0.01% higher at 8.25% V.  So if APR alone was the primary criteria for apping, I'd prolly pass on NFCU.

https://www.navyfederal.org/products-services/cards/creditcards/creditcards.php

https://www.navyfederal.org/pdf/creditcards/NFCU_573A.pdf

Message 15 of 48
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Greatest CU on the planet hands down! 😆

Why, because you can ACH pull from your other banks...NO

Because there are branches everywhere...NO

Because they have the best rates on CD's, savings, checking, auto loans, CC, mortagages, NO.

Why are they the best CU on the planet?

Best for high starting limits on CC for people with damaged credit, then I would agree.

Alliant, PenFed and several others beat them hands down with rates and ease of use. 

Well let me clarify that for you. Greatest CU on the planet for rebuilders! How's that? With their extreme generosity to those with less than perfect credit, they stand head and shoulders above the rest! 😉

They also have very competitive CD rates. I do bank with Alliant for much better savings and checking rates!

Message 16 of 48
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Member of DCU, Congressional FCU, PENFED - but not NFCU.

#1 DCU = great products and interest rates, no issues they treat me well.

#2 CFCU = in my office building, have a $15k Visa, no "cash advance" fees on using the Visa, funkly backward website, no real issues, but I don't use them much.

#3 PENFED = I have a second Mortgage with them, member for 40+ years, if you ever have issues they are very unforgiving (I/we did in 2004-05, several late payments, caught everything up, never burned them for a penny, "we" are worthless to them 10+ years later). Once I retire and sell my house - they'll be just as worthless to me.

NFCU? No need, no interest. 

Message 17 of 48
Appleman
Valued Contributor

You could re-phrase the original question:

Why are so many people with NASA FCU  (bad example)?

Why are so many people here with PenFed?

Why do so many here have a Blispay card?

Why do so many here have a Marvel card?

The board is known for starting a stampede to a new bank, CU or card. I personally have gotten caught up in a few of the stampedes (running of the cards? instead of running with the bulls). Overall, most applications have improved my profile or score.

Message 18 of 48
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a member of NFCU and have none of their products.  However, I do agree with Baller, I believe the appeal to those with damaged credit and those rebuilding is the high starting limits on their credit cards and the easy approval of the PLOC.  But I also agree with C316, outside of the ease of approval there isn't much that I can gain here that I can't elsewhere.  

Message 19 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

I'm a member of NFCU and have none of their products.  However, I do agree with Baller, I believe the appeal to those with damaged credit and those rebuilding is the high starting limits on their credit cards and the easy approval of the PLOC.  But I also agree with C316, outside of the ease of approval there isn't much that I can gain here that I can't elsewhere.  

I also wonder if very high SLs are really what works best for rebuilders (of course, everyone on this forum is very responsible, but those others!)   I think the desire for "WOW" SLs detracts some from focusing on other important features, such as the utility of the card, vs endless praise of utilization padding.

Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.