cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a Discover Bank Savings Account = Discover Card Offers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just wondering if Discover Bank is like Penfed, NCFU, etc. with having a savings account will generate card offers if your credit criteria is satisfactory for them.

Thanks in advance for any insight.  :-)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will a Discover Bank Savings Account = Discover Card Offers?

If you happen to have 25k in cash lying around, I would certainly open a savings account with them, since they are offering a $200 bonus to anyone who makes that initial deposit.

If you do not, you may want to wait until a more appealing bonus offer arrives.  Discover's bonuses are unavailable to anyone who has opened that account type before; thus if you think you might want the bonus it can make sense to wait.

Discover is different from other banks in this sense.  With Chase (for example) you can open savings and checking accounts, get the bonuses, close them six months later, and then do it all over again the next year -- year after year after year. 

Message 2 of 3
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Will a Discover Bank Savings Account = Discover Card Offers?

Yes, I'm currently doing a Discover Savings first time bonus. But $25k was a little rich for me, I'm doing $15k for $150 bonus. Also, and additional $10k in deposit for just an additional $50 bonus didn't seem like a very good deal, even thought this is the only Discover Savings account bonus I'll ever get. And yes, that Chase checking bonus once a year is great  . . .

But as to the OP's question: No, I don't think banking accounts with Discover will help you get a credit card. Credit Unions are member owned, so when you open accounts with Penfed, Navy Federal & other CUs you are becoming a member, and as such more attractive to them for credit offers. When you apply for a Discover card I doubt they even see if you have banking accounts with them.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.