cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about NFCU Account Freeze !! Advice???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Worried about NFCU Account Freeze !! Advice???

My advice is, if you think you are eligible, call and ask honestly to a senior CSR or Supervisor.  If they let you in, great!  If not, try later.  However, I advise keeping very little money in your accounts there and holding only modest credit cards (I suggest 1 at most) for the first YEAR.  After that, I think you are in the clear to open more accounts and add funds.  NFCU is great for building a great credit history, but have your T's crossed for sure.  Meanwhile, I've gathered info on my dad and grandfathers just in case.  Seeing as I only have $100 in my Savings, and only one SECURED credit card I'd be kind of shocked to get flagged anyway -- but one never knows!  Good luck to you both as well-- I'd call and see where you stand.

Message 11 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no idea if he retired as he died in late 60's...he served full time in WWII, then went Reserves for many years (Granfather).  Father served 4 years, then Reserves for 6 or more.  it was enough to please the CSR who processed me, and the app approved instantly without manual review.  It was also enough to get me in to USAA, which I'm told has similar if not stricter membership policy.

Actually USAA is easier to get in because they consider any military service enough for membership.  NFCU on the other hand requires Active duty, reserves, or retired.  I hope that you don't run into any problems down the road .  The security department at NFCU is very strict about membership when they review applications.

Very true but disabled vets need not apply.

At least it was that way the last time I checked. If that has changed someone please let me know.

To the OP I hope all turns out well for you.

I agree.  I'm not sure why they have the policies that they do.  I got in from my father who retired from the Navy as well as couple brothers.  Still it seems unfair that I'm eligible and never served while someone that is disabled during their service is ineligible.

Message 12 of 17
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no idea if he retired as he died in late 60's...he served full time in WWII, then went Reserves for many years (Granfather).  Father served 4 years, then Reserves for 6 or more.  it was enough to please the CSR who processed me, and the app approved instantly without manual review.  It was also enough to get me in to USAA, which I'm told has similar if not stricter membership policy.

Actually USAA is easier to get in because they consider any military service enough for membership.  NFCU on the other hand requires Active duty, reserves, or retired.  I hope that you don't run into any problems down the road .  The security department at NFCU is very strict about membership when they review applications.

At least it was that way the last time I checked. If that has changed someone please let me know.

I agree.  I'm not sure why they have the policies that they do.  I got in from my father who retired from the Navy as well as couple brothers.  Still it seems unfair that I'm eligible and never served while someone that is disabled during their service is ineligible.

Yeah that's kinda of a crappy rule. Anyone who serves or served should be able to get in. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ojefferyo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah that's kinda of a crappy rule. Anyone who serves or served should be able to get in. 

I agree.  Makes zero sense to me.  

Message 14 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO its a discriminatory exclusion and if anyone actually sued they would actually win and get it overturned. Thing is disabled indiviudals dont have the deep financial pockets to fund such a suit.

Message 15 of 17
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ojefferyo wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

IMO its a discriminatory exclusion and if anyone actually sued they would actually win and get it overturned. Thing is disabled indiviudals dont have the deep financial pockets to fund such a suit.

I don't like it but I lose absolutely no sleep over it.

In any case I've led this thread off topic and I apologize to the OP.

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds unfair. Especially for disabled vets!  I was going to apply with my dad but see now that it would be a waste of time.  My daugher is in the reserves, so I guess she's going with me.  My dad was the first on Normandy.  Seems unfair to him.  He has never asked them for anything his whole life.  Always independant!  

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.