cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would you leave a CU just for Debit Card Issues?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would you leave a CU just for Debit Card Issues?

To give a litte background, I've been banking with them since last year. A few months ago I forgot my PIN number, so I went into the branch and they reset it. They told me I had to call a number on a little business card they gave me after a few hours had passed to select my new pin. I called the next day to put the new PIN in, and it asked me for my current PIN. I got the system to the point where it asked for my new PIN and I entered it, and re-entered it when prompted. It wouldn't accept the new PIN.

I went back into the branch, thinking I had just waited too long. Same process repeated, and I called the number later that evening with the same result.

Went back into the branch, and the CSR said I just neede to call the number and put in my new PIN. I tried it right there in the branch, same result. Then one of the loan people that I had talked to before about an auto loan saw my frustration and helped me. He looked everything up, and said "No wonder, the chip has a malfunction." So he issued me a new card and said I can set the PIN by phone or he could do it if I was comfortable with that. Obviously, I had him set the PIN for me.

The card and PIN worked several times for me. Went to make a purchase about a week and a half ago and . lo and behold, the freaking PIN wasn't accepted! Tried again yesterday for good measure: "Invalid PIN." I immediately called. After a lot of security questions and her checking everything, she said there was no PIN assigned to the card, and said I just needed to call the number to set it. (In my imagination, I am now beating my forehead against the surface of my desk!) I told her I didn't feel confident it would work, lol!

I tried, it didn't work because, hello, it asked me to enter my current PIN. Really? Seriously? This seems way too complicated to me. I am actually considering ending my relationship with this CU over this. I don't want to go through this every few weeks, months, whatever!

What do you all think?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Would you leave a CU just for Debit Card Issues?

I moved business banking over similar issues. No regrets whatsoever. 

Message 2 of 13
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

To give a litte background, I've been banking with them since last year. A few months ago I forgot my PIN number, so I went into the branch and they reset it. They told me I had to call a number on a little business card they gave me after a few hours had passed to select my new pin. I called the next day to put the new PIN in, and it asked me for my current PIN. I got the system to the point where it asked for my new PIN and I entered it, and re-entered it when prompted. It wouldn't accept the new PIN.

I went back into the branch, thinking I had just waited too long. Same process repeated, and I called the number later that evening with the same result.

Went back into the branch, and the CSR said I just neede to call the number and put in my new PIN. I tried it right there in the branch, same result. Then one of the loan people that I had talked to before about an auto loan saw my frustration and helped me. He looked everything up, and said "No wonder, the chip has a malfunction." So he issued me a new card and said I can set the PIN by phone or he could do it if I was comfortable with that. Obviously, I had him set the PIN for me.

The card and PIN worked several times for me. Went to make a purchase about a week and a half ago and . lo and behold, the freaking PIN wasn't accepted! Tried again yesterday for good measure: "Invalid PIN." I immediately called. After a lot of security questions and her checking everything, she said there was no PIN assigned to the card, and said I just needed to call the number to set it. (In my imagination, I am now beating my forehead against the surface of my desk!) I told her I didn't feel confident it would work, lol!

I tried, it didn't work because, hello, it asked me to enter my current PIN. Really? Seriously? This seems way too complicated to me. I am actually considering ending my relationship with this CU over this. I don't want to go through this every few weeks, months, whatever!

What do you all think?

If you otherwise like the credit union, I would just stay put. I'm sure the pin number thing will get solved.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a local CU?

Considering my first experience with a CU, it is actually a miracle that I love CUs so much. I joined Gates Community Credit Union in 1998 for the sole purpose of being able to buy my first car. I had always heard that CUs were great for car loans. Applied for the loan, declined. A few months later, applied at the dealership, declined. Bank One picked up the loan. My sister had a similar experience with them; declined a car loan and a Visa card-she closed her accounts with them. I ended up staying with the CU because my bank at the time wanted to charge me $7 a month for a checking account. I had just bought a new car, had a balance for my dog's surgery and was paying school tuition so I went with the CUs free checking. 

Over the years they became intolerable. First, like so many smaller CUs they changed the name to a stupid credit union-ie name: New Horizons CCU...it sounded like a retirement community in Florida. Their systems were constantly down-especially when I tried to withdraw cash at an ATM; they started lowering the savings account APRs etc. I just grew tired of them overall. I decided in 2006 to go back to my first bank as they no longer charged monthly checking fees. I had every intent to close the Gates/New Horizons CU account but never got around to it. A year later I found out that the credit union was taken over by the NCUA and State of Colorado as they were apparently providing loans on condos in Florida that went bust. And the only reason I found out was because one of the suitors for the CUs assets lost a laptop containing identifying info from members of the failed CU. I enjoyed the fact that a local credit union that denied me a car loan failed because of their risky out-of-state mortgages. Later in 2007 Security Service FCU purchased the assets to my ghetto credit union and I couldn't have been happier. 

So what does this have to do with your question? Very little now that I think about it LOL. I guess my point is that if they are causing you this much trouble, it may be best to look around at another CU. I was very happy when I switched back to the bank way back when. I am just hoping you are not talking about NFCU as that is the only CU in your signature.....

Message 4 of 13
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

I've left banks over less. I'm not in the business of being frustrated. Personally, that would be grounds for dismissal. It's going to depend on what your tolerance is and if you trust the issue to get resolved in a reasonable time frame. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone! I like getting different perspectives.

@climbfire, Thank you! I'm sure if I leave I won't regret it either. 

@Hey, SouthJamaica! I really do like them otherwise, but if this PIN thing becomes a regular occurence, I can't imagine going through the trouble. That is the hang up, though, that I am otherwise really happy with them.

@CO_NATIVE, lol! I love your post! I think the point is good, that if it's that much trouble to look around. No, don't worry, it's not NFCU. They are the only one in my sig because they are the only CU from which I have credit accounts. It is Golden1, and they've been great except for this one thing. I don't think there is another CU that I would go with that has a local branch where I live, and that was one of the reasons I went with G1. But now that I also belong to NFCU, it is tempting to move everything over to them even though there no local branches here. There are local ATMs, though.

@CatOfSpades, I totally agree! I am not into being frustrated, and I don't think I should have to be over something that should just work properly. 

Again, thanks to all! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really doubt you will; most often issues like this are created out of broken process. You can be sure that this isn't the only process they have that doesn't work the way you could expect.

My issue was a little different, but basically caused the same frustration: it wasn't easy to access my money. In this case, I had a bank with a website that would only work with Windows computers and would occasionally work with Android phones (but never tablets.) My personal systems are mac and iPhone, but I had an office computer with Windows, so I didn't think there was any issue. Needless to say, they eventually updated their web system to work only with a specific version of a specific 'secure' browser. Updating the browser required me to reauthenticate the system, which drug on for a month without success. I wrote a check and opened a Chase business account after the 4th phone call.

Message 7 of 13
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this a local CU?

Considering my first experience with a CU, it is actually a miracle that I love CUs so much. I joined Gates Community Credit Union in 1998 for the sole purpose of being able to buy my first car. I had always heard that CUs were great for car loans. Applied for the loan, declined. A few months later, applied at the dealership, declined. Bank One picked up the loan. My sister had a similar experience with them; declined a car loan and a Visa card-she closed her accounts with them. I ended up staying with the CU because my bank at the time wanted to charge me $7 a month for a checking account. I had just bought a new car, had a balance for my dog's surgery and was paying school tuition so I went with the CUs free checking. 

Over the years they became intolerable. First, like so many smaller CUs they changed the name to a stupid credit union-ie name: New Horizons CCU...it sounded like a retirement community in Florida. Their systems were constantly down-especially when I tried to withdraw cash at an ATM; they started lowering the savings account APRs etc. I just grew tired of them overall. I decided in 2006 to go back to my first bank as they no longer charged monthly checking fees. I had every intent to close the Gates/New Horizons CU account but never got around to it. A year later I found out that the credit union was taken over by the NCUA and State of Colorado as they were apparently providing loans on condos in Florida that went bust. And the only reason I found out was because one of the suitors for the CUs assets lost a laptop containing identifying info from members of the failed CU. I enjoyed the fact that a local credit union that denied me a car loan failed because of their risky out-of-state mortgages. Later in 2007 Security Service FCU purchased the assets to my ghetto credit union and I couldn't have been happier. 

So what does this have to do with your question? Very little now that I think about it LOL. I guess my point is that if they are causing you this much trouble, it may be best to look around at another CU. I was very happy when I switched back to the bank way back when. I am just hoping you are not talking about NFCU as that is the only CU in your signature.....

Completely off-topic, but you're bringing back my Colorado memories with Bank One  (dead, bought by Chase), and 1st Bank (still alive and kicking, I see!). I'm headed to Denver later this week for some vacation time and to catch up with old friends Smiley Happy 

Message 8 of 13
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, lol! I love your post! I think the point is good, that if it's that much trouble to look around. No, don't worry, it's not NFCU. They are the only one in my sig because they are the only CU from which I have credit accounts. It is Golden1, and they've been great except for this one thing. I don't think there is another CU that I would go with that has a local branch where I live, and that was one of the reasons I went with G1. But now that I also belong to NFCU, it is tempting to move everything over to them even though there no local branches here. There are local ATMs, though.

It's strange to hear that you're having so many issues with Golden1. I've always been told great things about them (living just one state over), and that 3% rewards visa with a 7.79% APR and 50K credit lines - drool Smiley Very Happy

I believe that a financial institution should have to earn your business, as equally as you have to earn theirs. If they're not living up to your expectations, move on. There's no shortage of credit unions around CA. 

Message 9 of 13
creditfan
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous, Thank you! I'm sure if I leave I won't regret it either. 

@Anonymous, SouthJamaica! I really do like them otherwise, but if this PIN thing becomes a regular occurence, I can't imagine going through the trouble. That is the hang up, though, that I am otherwise really happy with them.

@Anonymous, lol! I love your post! I think the point is good, that if it's that much trouble to look around. No, don't worry, it's not NFCU. They are the only one in my sig because they are the only CU from which I have credit accounts. It is Golden1, and they've been great except for this one thing. I don't think there is another CU that I would go with that has a local branch where I live, and that was one of the reasons I went with G1. But now that I also belong to NFCU, it is tempting to move everything over to them even though there no local branches here. There are local ATMs, though.

@CatOfSpades, I totally agree! I am not into being frustrated, and I don't think I should have to be over something that should just work properly. 

Again, thanks to all! Smiley Happy

Oop Golden1? I'm also a member of them just never got a chance to use their debit card to see what happen

actually, they're one of the largest CU with big asset, how can they let this issue happen to them?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.