Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow, PenFed is super easy to join!

tag
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Wow, PenFed is super easy to join!

Especially compared to joining Navy Fed, which I've grumbled about in a post or two. (Two weeks after emailing my app & docs to their unsecured email address I had to call to push my app though and got an instant security flag & was told to wait for an email to upload ID & Address verification PDFs that I included in my app email)

By contrast, approved for membership with Pentagon Federal (Penfed) online in less than 5 minutes this morning. The Navy League San Diego membership I purchased for NFCU qualified me for membership as a civilian, although any chapter qualifies and they didn't ask for any proof of membership. Then a couple minutes to fund my required savings (share) account with my Wells Fargo debit card - first time ever I used the WF checking debit card, I wanted to make sure I didn't get charged a cash advance fee using any of my CCs. Then I chose to open an Access America checking account, funded with WF debit card & opened in a few minutes. I expected some security challenge questions from Lexus Nexus or similar, and it advised I may need to answer security question, but nope!, good to go. They pulled EQ, which has a 688 FICO score, and I've had the same address for 12 years, so that may have helped. All they did for the checking account was send a text message w/code to my mobile phone.

So then I decided to call them - the Access America checking requires a daily balance or a monthly direct deposit of $500 or more to avoid fees. I plan to move my payroll direct deposit to them from Wells Fargo. But I work for the local county and their requirement of mailing them a signed form w/voided check can take at least a month to change direct deposit. Rep told me no problem, I have 90 days to meet the direct deposit requirement. Then the rep invites to app for a CC. I tell her not right away, I'm more interested in a Home Equity Line of Credit, but I assume I need to call back Monday-Friday to talk to them. Nope, they're in on Sundays too, and she transfers me. 

My 1st mortgage, which I've had since 2006, is well under 50% of home value, but I've always run into problems when looking into refinancing or home equity loan - it's a rural property, a manufactured home on 10 acres. Most lenders stop me when I say "manufactured home", they don't lend on "mobile homes", and ignore me when I tell them it's a 2200+ sq. foot home, 4 BRs, 2 full baths, permanently installed on the property almost 20 years ago. The Penfed rep just asked me a simple question: Is my county property tax bill a single bill for land & buildings, or is it 2 bills, 1 for land & 1 for "personal property"? When I tell her a single bill for land & buildings, she says "Then we can lend on it, and your credit report used for membership can be used for app'ing for a Home Equity LOC if I apply within the next few days". (If something is truly a "mobile home" that be removed from the property fairly easily - as in without cranes & earth moving equipment -  it's taxed as personal property)

Now THAT is how opening a banking account should be done. I'm going to call Navy Fed next to see if I can cancel the memberhsip app & save the TU HP. I was looking to change my banking business and say goodbye to the worthless Wells Fargo, and Penfed just earned that from me.

EDIT: I had to wait until Monday morning but I got my Navy Fed app canceled, no sign of a TU HP, and I already got an alert on Penfed pulling EQ. Navy Fed may be generous in CC CLs but I don't need more CC credit, and none of their cards really appeal to me. And 2 weeks to process a membership app is ridiculous.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: Wow, PenFed is super easy to join!

DaveinAZ,

Congratulations on getting into PENFED. You are going to find them better and more responsive than other banks and CU's. Since you're a memeber of the NLUS, remember to use that affinity when applying for products. It will get you a lower rate. It's also easier to get money transferred into PENFED than NFCU, even if it's $50.00 at a time.. 

I've been with PENFED as long as I've been with Navy. I got the credit I wanted at the lowest rates they had at the time. I have no complaints at all. 

Guyatthebeach

Message 2 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Guyatthebeach, it was your thread on Navy Fed in the BK forum that convinced me to app for Navy Fed. And Navy Fed may be a better choice for rebuilding, but I'm 6+ years post discharge, the accounts included in BK have almost all fallen off, and with my Amex BCE approval a few weeks ago w/$15k SL I now have around $95k in CC credit limits, so I'm pretty well set for that.

I app'd for a Penfed Home Equity LOC, pending. 4% APR and with a requested LOC of $25k on top of my 1st mortgage the LTV (loan to value) is only 65%, so it might not even require an appraisal. I want to use it to make sure my Cashforward balance $3500 with intro 0% doesn't become 20% APR in September. I also have a 0% BT on Cap One Spark that doesn't end until Oct. 2018, but it made Spark util at 48%, so I might pay it down to under 30% util. Even with those 2 large balances, my overall CC utilization is only 8% before paying them down.

Message 3 of 6
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

DaveinAz,

Thanks for the kind words. As much as I love banking with Navy Federal, I'm using their CD rates more than I am their credit card rates. NFCU is an excellent source to rebuild and add huge lines of credit. I'm heading into year 6 of my bankruptcy and I'm getting better rates at other banks and CU's. I'm still thankful to NFCU and appreciate the opportunity given to my by NFCU. Maybe one day soon, I will start a thread geared for those at the 5 or 6 year mark post bankruptcy.

I'm finding much better rates at PENFED over NFCU. I have their Navy League affinity card with a rate of 10.25, my third lowest. I have another card with them and plan to merge the cards together after they hit the one year mark. 

I'm hoping to get a HELOC when I do my remodel project in 2018. So far PenFed has the best rates and seem eager top have the business.

Glad to hear your success with PenFed.

Guyatthebeach

Message 4 of 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

DaveinAz,

Thanks for the kind words. As much as I love banking with Navy Federal, I'm using their CD rates more than I am their credit card rates. NFCU is an excellent source to rebuild and add huge lines of credit. I'm heading into year 6 of my bankruptcy and I'm getting better rates at other banks and CU's. I'm still thankful to NFCU and appreciate the opportunity given to my by NFCU. Maybe one day soon, I will start a thread geared for those at the 5 or 6 year mark post bankruptcy.

I'm finding much better rates at PENFED over NFCU. I have their Navy League affinity card with a rate of 10.25, my third lowest. I have another card with them and plan to merge the cards together after they hit the one year mark. 

I'm hoping to get a HELOC when I do my remodel project in 2018. So far PenFed has the best rates and seem eager top have the business.

Glad to hear your success with PenFed.

Guyatthebeach

Ah, finally someone I can ask: Is that the Penfed Platinum Cash Rewards card? What are the other reward % categories? All I see is the 5% rewards for gas (w/qualifying PenFed product, otherwise 3% on gas). https://www.penfed.org/affinity-cash-rewards/

If it's only 1% for all other then I'm thinking of app'ing for the Power Cash Rewards Rewards, which will give 2% on everything with an Access America checking, and say goodbye to my Cap One & Barclays 1.5% reward cards. My everyday car is a Mazda hatchback that get almost 40mpg and I don't drive that far to work, so I don't spend a bundle on gas, and my BoA Cash Rewards gives me 3% on gas.

Message 5 of 6
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

I think the Power Cash Rrewards card is the one to get, because you 2% back on everything when you have their Access checking.  I think it's the best way to go.

You ought call them and find out. They will use the same pull if done withine 90 days.

Guyatthebeach

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.