Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Young widow looking for advice.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Young widow looking for advice.

I'm sorry, in advance. Normally, I'd do all my research, but I'm feeling overwhelmed.

May I ask some questions?

I have a windfall, due to being a widow. It's life insurance.

So far, I've paid off all credit cards, my highest (rate and compound interest) group of student loans. I maxed out an IRA via Vanguard. I've set aside living expenses. What now? Do I pay the rest of my loans? I have 5k left on my car payment and 18k left in federal loans which are still technically in deferment. What would you do?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
driftless
Valued Contributor

Re: Young widow looking for advice.

I am sorry for your loss.  I would stop and catch your breath and take the time to decide where your future is headed.  

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that! I've done that, and I'm ready to do something Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

More detail: I am early 30s, with a young son, and my own early professional career. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 21
driftless
Valued Contributor

While not knowing your income, expenses, etc., I would recommend keeping as much of your windfall in reserve or cash cushion, as possible.  

Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for helping me fill in details Smiley Happy I have a year of living expenses set aside in a high yield savings account Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi wolf and sorry for your loss, sincerely!

Would help if you can list what all the debt you have vs savings/available funds.  Balances/credit limiits and your cards etc Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 21
driftless
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for helping me fill in details Smiley Happy I have a year of living expenses set aside in a high yield savings account Smiley Happy

That is a very good start.

Do you work?  Can you maintain your lifestyle on your income?

Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! Okay, can do.

I have 30k in credit limit, spread out in Amex/MC/Visa cards that are all decent and paid off. I will probably be able to get better cards eventually, but my credit is still mediocre because I had high utilization for a minute due to having to survive while I was finishing school and my husband was ill.

I have 18k in federal student loans. 4 groups; all 4% or less interest.

I have 5k in a car loan via a CU, again, about 4% interest.

I have a reserve of 100k in a high yield savings account.

I have 200k in a short term CD.

I have 300k sitting there looking me in the face. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! I have my own career. I'm honestly dealing with some PTSD, but my work is willing to be really patient with me, and even if they weren't, when I was ready I could easily get another job (computer science).

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.