Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double cb question of discover checking

tag
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Re: double cb question of discover checking

@Revelate,
They do add up better than 2% as long as spend is small.
Without double cash back, Discover gives $0.10. As long as you are spending less than $5, it's better than a 2% card. With double cash back like right now, it's better than a 2% up to $10 or a 5% up to $4. I do end up using the vending machine or visit the corner store every once in a while, so it makes sense.
Message 11 of 16
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Do the rewards on the checking actually run better than a flat 2% spender?  Can't see giving up my credit card usage ever to pursue checking account bonuses from a debit card transaction... principal reason why I haven't gobbled up some of the tasty goodies some CU's are offering for so-called relationship checking: if it involves my having to use a debit card at a loss compared to my credit cards, no, thank, you.

I use my Discover checking account specifically for small purchases ($1 to $3) and some bill pays for the few bills I can pay with a CC. I don't use a printer anymore, I found it's financially a better option for me to utiliize the self service print services at fedex and staples where it's 11 cents a page. Print out a few pages and pay with my Discover debit and the percent back is a lot Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 16
KDKobes
Regular Contributor

I was lucky to get one of the most knowledgeable customer service reps just the other day and here are the answers to your questions from her (I actually had the same questions and one rep told me the wrong answer that bill pay and checks count....spoiler alert.....they don't)

- Double Cash Back is DEBIT CARD PURCHASES ONLY NOT bill pay OR checks.

- Only the first 100 transactions, yes this includes the checks and bill pay so the more you use these options during the double time period the LESS transactions you have for the debit card to make the double cashback. - I hope that makes sense to anyone reading it. REALLY TRICKY.

- Using the debit card as credit and signing as well as running debit with a pin rewards cashback including the double cashback right now.

- Giving out the card number over the phone or online to make a transaction also rewards the cashback or double cashback.

EX: 694 (F8)(7inq) | TU: 691 (VS3)(5inq) | EQ: 699 (VS3)(5inq)
BK Ch 7 Discharged 2015 | x1 Paid collection | x1 30 day late on file
9% Utilization | AAoA: 2yrs | Updated: *UPDATING*
Message 13 of 16
GoldSorata
Established Contributor

@KDKobes wrote:

I was lucky to get one of the most knowledgeable customer service reps just the other day and here are the answers to your questions from her (I actually had the same questions and one rep told me the wrong answer that bill pay and checks count....spoiler alert.....they don't)

- Double Cash Back is DEBIT CARD PURCHASES ONLY NOT bill pay OR checks.

- Only the first 100 transactions, yes this includes the checks and bill pay so the more you use these options during the double time period the LESS transactions you have for the debit card to make the double cashback. - I hope that makes sense to anyone reading it. REALLY TRICKY.

- Using the debit card as credit and signing as well as running debit with a pin rewards cashback including the double cashback right now.

- Giving out the card number over the phone or online to make a transaction also rewards the cashback or double cashback.

Interesting. I don't do enough transactions that it matters anway but that first 100 transaction limit that includes checks and bill pay yet they don't count for double cashback is misleading with the way they work the promotion.

Message 14 of 16
KDKobes
Regular Contributor

I agree, but at the same time if you really think about it its not for instance I was mis-conceived once I looked at the "fine print". See below on how they technically state it. Not to defend them but right here it is pretty clear its just debit card. BUT as you stated and the reason why I asked them multiple times was exactly like everyone else..you read the fine print and thats where it gets confusing. Overall I love my account. Only issue is my debit cards being returned as un-deliverable for some reason, but they expedited them to me at no cost so should have them any day. My bill pay pays out on the due date and have never had an issue especially if its electronic. The only issue I have noticed is that sometimes the payee takes a while to accept the payment. (CapOne is sloooow) Discover sent my payment to them on Saturday but they didn't accept and process it until Monday by Midnight. (not a big deal since it was set to pay on Monday anyway) I would also like to note that my payment said "paid" on Sunday and Monday. Upon contacting Discover they said it was "processing" and that it will show "paid" online even though its really not yet because CapOne hadn't processed it completely yet so don't freak out like I did when it shows paid but doesn't show yet through the payee. Discover told me that when they actually accept the payment it will come out of the account. Sure enough it did come midnight like CapOne likes to do.

DOUBLE Your Debit Card Rewards

Just use your Discover Cashback Checking® debit card
and get DOUBLE cash back from May-July. See details

EX: 694 (F8)(7inq) | TU: 691 (VS3)(5inq) | EQ: 699 (VS3)(5inq)
BK Ch 7 Discharged 2015 | x1 Paid collection | x1 30 day late on file
9% Utilization | AAoA: 2yrs | Updated: *UPDATING*
Message 15 of 16
Christina_xyt
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Do the rewards on the checking actually run better than a flat 2% spender?  Can't see giving up my credit card usage ever to pursue checking account bonuses from a debit card transaction... principal reason why I haven't gobbled up some of the tasty goodies some CU's are offering for so-called relationship checking: if it involves my having to use a debit card at a loss compared to my credit cards, no, thank, you.

Well, I do the calculation before choosing.

Usually if i know(when almost the end of the month, and i am close to 100 ) that i can do 100 transactions including bill pay, check, and enough debit purchases, i won't consider using the debit. But think about it ,for a 2-3$ coffee, it's better to use this than any other 2% flat rate card. Because you spend $2 and get 10cents/20 cents if it's doubled. So that's like 5/10% cash back

In sequence of approval, Last app/inquiry 5/30/2015
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.