Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finance book recommendations

tag
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

finance book recommendations

I have read a ton on the forums and I am always looking at new ideas or hearing new things.

I have recently read 2 dave ramsey books.

While I do find the forums here helpful I would much prefer a book.

Any recommendations on finance?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: finance book recommendations

@fezwhy wrote:

I have read a ton on the forums and I am always looking at new ideas or hearing new things.

I have recently read 2 dave ramsey books.

While I do find the forums here helpful I would much prefer a book.

Any recommendations on finance?

What do you mean by finance in this case?  That could mean any of a number different things to different folks Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 11
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

Budgeting, saving money for college, investing.
Managing my money
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fezwhy wrote:
Budgeting, saving money for college, investing.
Managing my money
The Millionaire Mind 
The Millionaire Next Door

I wouldn't say these books will help you with investing, but they do gave me a sense on how to reevaluate my budget and manage my money a little better. I had to read a couple chapters of each in a business course in college and wound up buying the books afterwords to read them again
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ramit Sethi. I'm starting his ebook and get his daily emails. He is often described as a college frat dude turned millionare that blogs it up. His rational is pretty spot on though. I am a Type A personality, just getting my career going and taking care of my mom, micro and macro thinking are both equally important to me. I want to be able to enjoy a retirement, and enjoy the process of getting there. 

Message 5 of 11
Roarmeister
Frequent Contributor

Jim Rickards - The Death of Money: The Coming Collapse of the International Monetary System and previous book - Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis

Any books that help you on understanding how money, economies and the markets actually work are required prerequisites to investing into anything.

Starting Score: EQ 732 October 2007; Current Score: EQ 839; TU 865, July 2022;
Oldest Reporting EQ Account: 20.4 years; EQ AAoA: 9.9 years;
ACTUAL Oldest account 40.1 years; ACTUAL AAoA 19.3 years.

Message 6 of 11
tacpoly
Established Contributor

If You Can:  How Millenials Can Get Rich Slowly by William Bernstein

He feels so strongly that young people need to learn how to treat their money that he gives this book away for free regularly - check his website.  If you want it during the non-free days, it will cost $0.99 on Amazon because Amazon requires a minimum charge. 

Message 7 of 11
Zz_JC_zZ
New Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:

If You Can:  How Millenials Can Get Rich Slowly by William Bernstein

He feels so strongly that young people need to learn how to treat their money that he gives this book away for free regularly - check his website.  If you want it during the non-free days, it will cost $0.99 on Amazon because Amazon requires a minimum charge. 

Just ordered this on Amazon. Pretty excited to get it and start learning more.

Starting Score (July 2013) Exp 665 Equ 658 TU 660
Current Score (Feb 2015) Exp: ??? Equ: 765 TU: 776

Amex BCE ($12,000) Discover It ($7,400) Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2,250) Cap1 Platinum ($4,500) Express Next ($1,450)
Message 8 of 11
nightglider
Regular Contributor

I have four recommendations for this. The first is Charles Schwab's New Guide to Financial Independence (the one where he has grey hair on the cover). It explains many different places to put your money and the best use of each (saving for emergencies, bonds for short-term investing (<5 yrs), etc).

The other three are all specific to investing and are The Intelligent Investor, One Up on Wall Street, and Beating The Street. The first was written by Benjamin Graham, mentor to Warren Buffett. His book is an in-depth explanation of the differences between investing and speculating.

The second two were written by Peter Lynch. He follows Graham's school of thought and has the best track record of any mutual fund manager (that I'm aware of) when he ran Fidelity's Magellan fund. The first book is theory (how he evaluates stocks), and the second is application (essentially a diary of notes from when he was at Fidelity).

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Armchair Millionaire is another one

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.