cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

interest calculation?

tag
mcampbell14

interest calculation?

Can someone tell/show me how paying extra payments towards the principal of an installment loan is more beneficial than extra payments that pay accrued interest before principal? An example would be extremely helpful! 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: interest calculation?

I wasn't aware that you could prepay on the interest!

Message 2 of 4
mcampbell14

It is not so much "pre paying" interest. it is just when loan providers automatically use an extra payment to pay interest rather than principal since it makes them more money (so im told. This difference in money is what im trying to figure out)

Message 3 of 4
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

I see; "interest before principal” simply means the regularly scheduled distribution of principal and interest for a payment.

So if you make extra of such payments, you are effectively paying interest for a period of time during which you are not borrowing the money! Now, why would you do that? With payments applied towards the principal, you are only paying interest for the time you are borrowing any given portion of the principal.

Just google "interest before principal”, e.g. here.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.