cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non military members applying for nfcu with navy league make me sick!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

non military members applying for nfcu with navy league make me sick!

It's sickening people joining the navy league just to join navy federal! The good rates are meant for military members and their families! They earned them and deserve them! My husband died overseas! He earned the good rates for his families! If you want to join, then sign up for the military!

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: non military members applying for nfcu with navy league make me sick!

I am sorry for your loss losing a loved one is a great sacrifice, and I thank him for his service. However as a former NFCU employee and frequent commentator here I believe you are out of line, if you were to step back and logically think about this "loophole" you could see that it is not all bad. By having more members NFCU is able to bring in more deposit dollars which in turn means that they can loan out more, when they can loan out more they will give out even BETTER rates to encourage borrowing. There were some who served honarably that were not able to join until this "loophole" came available. While I can understand why you could be upset but these "civilians" could end up doing a favor to military members by making loans more accessible and affordable! Many civilians have much more discreationary income to park in the bank than active military. Food for thought anyway...

Message 2 of 15
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

As someone who comes from a military family, I must say that not all of us feel the same way as the OP.
Message 3 of 15
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It's sickening people joining the navy league just to join navy federal! The good rates are meant for military members and their families! They earned them and deserve them! My husband died overseas! He earned the good rates for his families! If you want to join, then sign up for the military!

I think that you are overlooking the benefits this creates for the enlisted personnel. Greater membership at NFCU allows better services by the credit union and lower rates for interest while paying higher rates for savings. Joining the navy league helps to provide services for the family members of deployed personnell. This is a win-win for our Navel service members and their families, and to discontinue the practice would cause real harm for the very military members and their families you aim to honor. I am sorry for your loss and the entire Nation owes you and your husband a debt we can never pay. I am not a member of NFCU, but do believe your anger is mis-placed.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a US Army Special Forces Military person I can feel your pain and share your loss. I served overseas in a multi-year war. Many of my fellow in arms never returned home! Then until February 2017 we were not even allowed membership in the Navy League Federal Credit Union (I was very mad). In truth USAA did not allow many of us to join them until September 2009 so I do understand your feelings. That said many posters on this thread have offered the benefits that do come with a few additional members. The reason I say few is the general public would likely not find the work around for the Navy Federal Credit Union so I would estimate it is not bulking up the Navy Federal Credit Union. Please help us support your loss through things such as the "Yellow Ribbon" and other recognition activities. The American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars are out their to support our Veterans and their families. Please feel loved and cared about. Those of us who returned home want to see our families supported!
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm the only one in my family to NOT serve. My father was in 6 years, during vietnam, stationed in alaska working with nike missles. his father served, and when got out was secret service detail in the 1960s. Then on my moms side, both her brothers served on ships off Taiwan during vietnam, and her father served on a ship www Pacific theatre. She had uncles in korea. I'm a POS. I guess because none are alive with a checking account im a pos. How many folded flags do we have? Not enough mantles that's for sure.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am too a veteran and I would just like to say thank you to your husband and offer my condolences to you and your family. Stay strong...you are loved and appreciated!!

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost everyone has a familial link to the military, OP. 

Message 8 of 15
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Your angst should be directed toward NFCU and not the people who join. They made a decision to allow people to join through the Navy League, and they're allowed to do so as a private business in this country, provided they don't break any discrimination laws.

There are also other institutions with similar (or better) rates, and has already been pointed out, larger membership actually helps the rates by increasing the asset base at a place such as NFCU. I am therefore left to infer from your comment your concern is that low rates should be a benefit exclusive to the military and their families. If so, that line of thought is troubling as it means you either desire a society where we place people into castes based on occupation or you desire a society where the military is the focal point of prestige. History has shown us that neither model works well.

Message 9 of 15
MauiMan85297
Established Contributor

I am sorry for your loss and that's not something that doesn't go un-noticed especially from another Vet but your anger towards the people who joined via NLSD is vented in the wrong direction and should be towards Navy Fed.  I had to joint that way because of my 13 years of service and not retiring I was not granted membership but 2 weeks after gaining membership they allowed all past military to join.  Like the previous post stated, more members = more money allocated to lend.  ARMY STRONG! 31M/95B

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.