Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

online savings account high interest

tag
anonymous4a
New Contributor

online savings account high interest

Hi, which online bank offers the highest interest for savings accounts right now ? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
NYFan63
Established Contributor

Re: online savings account high interest

@anonymous4a wrote:

Hi, which online bank offers the highest interest for savings accounts right now ? 

I have a Barclays Savings account paying 1%...

Penfed Platinum Sig Visa $33k, PenFed PLOC $25k, NFCU Cash VISA Sig 22k, NFCU Visa Flagship 22k, CAP1 Venture $23k, CAP1 Venture One $15k, NFCU NAV Check $15k, Barclays Arrival $13,2k, DCU VISA 5k, Cap1 QS 7.5k, WF Finance 3.5k, Merrick 2.2k, Barclays Apple Financing 6.1k BestBuy 5k >Ch7 BK filed 8/09; DC 01/10 EQ 636 Nov 13;
EQ08 718 | TU 731 | EXP 728
Inqs: EQ 11, TU 8, EXP 11(last 2 yrs)
Goal 750+ In the Garden til

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@anonymous4a wrote:

Check the link to compare

http://bfy.tw/2Vkk

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

At 1%, it will take upwards of 70 years to double one's balance. Even at 1.5%, will take nearly 50 years. Or to put it another way, at 1%, one will net ~$100 yearly per $10,000 banked. Doesn't pay to park money in banks. Consider long term U.S. treasury bonds.

On an aside, from my understanding, the Fed was seeking to discourage banks from offering savings / CD rates too far above the norm. Not sure if such a policy was ever implemented, but it sure seems savings / CD rates are very similar across banks more than I recall in the distant past.

Another approach, which relates to this forum, is running everything (utilities, fuel, groceries, meals, etc; paying friends for products / services via Square / PayPal Here; putting work expenses on credit and getting reimbursed while keeping the rewards) through cash back / rewards credit cards - you'll likely net a lot more than any savings account out there.

Message 4 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There are sites (in addition to the link above) that compile this information.  Don't overlook Google as a resource:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=high%20interest...

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

At 1%, it will take upwards of 70 years to double one's balance. Even at 1.5%, will take nearly 50 years. Or to put it another way, at 1%, one will net ~$100 yearly per $10,000 banked. Doesn't pay to park money in banks. Consider long term U.S. treasury bonds.

On an aside, from my understanding, the Fed was seeking to discourage banks from offering savings / CD rates too far above the norm. Not sure if such a policy was ever implemented, but it sure seems savings / CD rates are very similar across banks more than I recall in the distant past.

Another approach, which relates to this forum, is running everything (utilities, fuel, groceries, meals, etc; paying friends for products / services via Square / PayPal Here; putting work expenses on credit and getting reimbursed while keeping the rewards) through cash back / rewards credit cards - you'll likely net a lot more than any savings account out there.

Yup. It is not a long-term saving strategy, you need to invest in something if you expect a meaningful return over 50 years. But it's better than getting zero. If you ARE going to pool cash somewhere, might as well be in a "high" interest savings account. If you are investing for 50 years talk to Vanguard or somebody.

When I was saving up for my car purchase I pooled my money into a "high" interest savings account. I put "high" in quotes because it was a whopping 1.25% when I started and recently declined to 1.1% (mysavingsdirect). Still, as my car money saved up in the account month after month I earned a little, and wound up with a few bucks I woudn't have had if I left it in a checking account.

Actually the main appeal to me of a savings account is that it's hard to get the money out. Meaning, once I decide to take it out, it takes 2-3 days to ACH it back to my regular checking account. That deters me from spending it until the planned purpose...

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great thoughts by Canadian.  I'll add one thing.  He writes:

"If you ARE going to pool cash somewhere...."

Not only IF you are, but you SHOULD be.  All financial planners advise you to have an emergency fund or a rainy day fund -- of cash.  And it should be pretty big: at least three months of your salary, likely more.  This is completely separate from your retirement savings, though it can be helpful there if there is a massive stock market crash (where one benefits from a big supply of cash to buy stocks at low prices).

If you are willing to move your cash around a bit, it's not hard to pick up at least a thousand a year in various sign up bonuses for checking and savings accounts.  And there are are some regular places to keep cash that are offering 3 or even 5%.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yup. It is not a long-term saving strategy, you need to invest in something if you expect a meaningful return over 50 years. But it's better than getting zero. If you ARE going to pool cash somewhere, might as well be in a "high" interest savings account. If you are investing for 50 years talk to Vanguard or somebody.

When I was saving up for my car purchase I pooled my money into a "high" interest savings account. I put "high" in quotes because it was a whopping 1.25% when I started and recently declined to 1.1% (mysavingsdirect). Still, as my car money saved up in the account month after month I earned a little, and wound up with a few bucks I woudn't have had if I left it in a checking account.

Actually the main appeal to me of a savings account is that it's hard to get the money out. Meaning, once I decide to take it out, it takes 2-3 days to ACH it back to my regular checking account. That deters me from spending it until the planned purpose...

I agree that your emergency fund should be separate from your retirement savings. A online HYS is better than depositing it with the regular brick and mortar institutions unless yours offers a HYS. Even if you can't afford to put a lot into your emergency fund still set up one. Every little bit helps.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Maximizing your cash back rewards is also another way to save money for an emergency fund. Getting paid for spending money you would regaulary do anyway is a nice incentive. It doesn't matter if you have a large monthly spend like 5k or small like $500 every little bit helps.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have mySavings Direct at 1.1%. All online, easy to set up, no minimum, and links directly with my checking account. It was very easy to set up.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.