cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

think 3x!! before applying for NFCU (navy federal credit union)

tag
confuerte

think 3x!! before applying for NFCU (navy federal credit union)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
garagebandking
Regular Contributor

Re: think 3x!! before applying for NFCU (navy federal credit union)

I'm sorry you had that experience, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm. I'm familiar with the other person's thread...and I've heard of others that had their accounts frozen a month or so in because of elibility concerns...which is partially why I didn't move all of my banking activity to them. But, none of those issues appear to be widespread.

I applied online and things took about a week, which seems somewhat par for the course. I wonder if one is more likely to face issues when applying via CSR...as perhaps they open the account immediately and then security/verification gets involved after the fact. When I opened online, I needed to submit proof of address and ID a few days later before they could fully process my application.

Message 2 of 6
creditfan
Established Contributor

what route did you use to get in door? NLUS, millitary affiliation or household member because nfcu is very strict about membership eligibility. You have to prove who you are you say you are by sending documments required. There is nothing surpise at all

alot of good instruction aound here to help you how to get your account clear up. Anyway, in my opinion if something worth it I don't mind go extra miles to get it

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to you, but it's not really a reason to warn people against Navy Federal.

I had my accounts and funds locked up early on for weeks by the BSA department at Navy Federal. It was inconvenient, but everything is fine now and I love Navy Federal! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry this happened to you, but it's not really a reason to warn people against Navy Federal.

I had my accounts and funds locked up early on for weeks by the BSA department at Navy Federal. It was inconvenient, but everything is fine now and I love Navy Federal! Smiley Happy

I agree with this sentiment.  AND, sorry OP that sucks.

I applied for membership today via NLSD and will not start using the account for primary purposes for at least a couple weeks.  i deposited the $5 for required savings and will make a deposit next week.  After i am confident NFCU is satisfied i will start using direct deposit.

I am very excited to be a new member but understand there is a certain level of beaucracy involved with this credit union.  The rewards for me far outweigh this inconvenience.

Message 5 of 6
confuerte

yes, that's the smart thing to do.  wait at least 1 month!! lol

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.