Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

08/Judgement

tag
Corsair85
Established Member

08/Judgement

Hey guys, in June/July of 2008 I was getting notice of a judgement being filed against me. The papers weren't served to me but to one of my parents at my house. Now, I paid off the debt by mid July of 08,  but it was still filed against me, and it reports on TU and EQ as a Judgement, but with a "blank" current status, not paid/settled, or anything, just empty. Now I was wondering if it'd be worth filing a dispute with the CRA's to have it verified and possibly removed, or if it would just renew it if verified as satisfied, and then start me at square one of the 7 year statute of limitations. Any advice would be appreciated guys. I've been rebuilding for the last 18 months, just got myself a Barclay card, and I really wouldn't want to lose that over stirring up a hornets nest. Thanks again!

Starting Score: 638
Current Score: 638
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
hdrider07
Regular Contributor

Re: 08/Judgement

The best option would be to contact the ones that obtained the judgment and see if you can get them to file a motion to vacate it, if they do it will be removed from your credit report once you send the court papers to the CRA's.  If you cant get that then I would send proof to the CRA's showing it as being paid so that it can be updated to "satisfied".  That wont help your FICO score but it will help in a manual review.

Message 2 of 6
Corsair85
Established Member

Would it be updated as "satisfied" from todays date? So it wouldn't come off for seven years from now? Wouldn't it be better to dispute it all together and possibly get it removed completely?

Message 3 of 6
Corsair85
Established Member

Oh, and midland was who the judgement came from.

Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Corsair85 wrote:

Would it be updated as "satisfied" from todays date? So it wouldn't come off for seven years from now? Wouldn't it be better to dispute it all together and possibly get it removed completely?

No, the reporting clock does not reset with paying.    For judgements the credit reporting time period ( CRTP ) is 7 years from the date the judgement was issued.

I agree with the recommendation to ask the plantiff to submit a motion to vacate, this would allow you to get it removed from your credit reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
hdrider07
Regular Contributor

Be prepared for them to say no because it costs them money to file the paperwork to have vacated.  Call the courthouse and find out how much that is, you can then maybe offer to pay them the filing fees.  If they do agree make sure as always to get it in writing.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.