Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Debt, 3 Dings.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 Debt, 3 Dings.

So when i was young man I took out a credit with BofA it was charged off and has been a nagging problem for sometime now. It's set to come off in March of 2013, however it currently shows the original creditor charged off, and then different collections accounts for the same debt. They also filled a judgement on it and won, so I guess that's 4 dings for one debt. My question is can you show 2 different collections accounts for the same debt?  say it was transferred between collection agencies and the like?

Thanks for any info, first time poster would love some help. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: 1 Debt, 3 Dings.

@Anonymous wrote:

So when i was young man I took out a credit with BofA it was charged off and has been a nagging problem for sometime now. It's set to come off in March of 2013, however it currently shows the original creditor charged off, and then different collections accounts for the same debt. They also filled a judgement on it and won, so I guess that's 4 dings for one debt. My question is can you show 2 different collections accounts for the same debt?  say it was transferred between collection agencies and the like?

Thanks for any info, first time poster would love some help. Smiley Happy

Unfortunately this happens a lot.   Your FICO score will be hit multiple times ~ the original account, a collection account ( or several ), and ultimately judgements can all be reported even though they are all for the same unpaid debt.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, that's brutal! Well it's just that one debt now hopefully on my way up from here, all cards paid to 0$! Thanks once again.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

One last thing, the collection company reporting on there twice is the same company just realized that today. Is that still ok on their part?

Message 4 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

One last thing, the collection company reporting on there twice is the same company just realized that today. Is that still ok on their part?

In theory I guess they could report twice, once for the original collection and once for the collection from the judgement.    Are both collection records identical, showing the same amounts ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If its the same debt, then a debt collector should only be reporting once.  The flavor and amount of the debt may change, but it all stems from the same debt.

However, if they are different debt collectors, nothing precludes more than one collection from reporting on the same debt.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.