Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Step Forward and 5 Steps Back

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

1 Step Forward and 5 Steps Back

Well, it seems like I am going backwards instead of forwards.  My goals for October and December are out the window.  I had my son's school loan post to all 3 CRs which brought my utility up to 95%.  I have a new collection that showed up on my reports.  I owe roughly 3k in collections.  I was hoping to pay this out by the end of the year, but that will be rough.  My current scores are stickied in my sig, but I am sure that they are lower now.  I don't even want to know what they are now.

I have seen many posts by members that have had score increases of 50-100 points in the first month.  I have been at this for 2 and my numbers have only dropped.  I am happy for everyone else, of course, but I don't know if the day will ever come that my numbers will go up instead of down. 

I have had many things removed from my reports, but my scores remained unchanged.  The only time my numbers move are when they are sliding down into oblivion.  I wish I could just get a break.  This process has drained me.  I will continue to do everything I am doing and HOPE and PRAY that things change within the next couple of months.  I shouldn't have any more CAs track me down because there are no other debts out there (that I know of).  I will continue to pay my bills on time and PRAY for a miracle.  I could use one right about now.

Sorry for the depressing post, but I am bummed right about now.
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
southernficoaddict
Frequent Contributor

Re: 1 Step Forward and 5 Steps Back

What are your CA accounts?  Are any medical?  Break them down for us starting with either the most recent or the one that you can PIF first.  If you can do something about the most recent ones first, that should help you out, because they are doing the most damage.  What about CC util%?  I have found that I have gotten the biggest jumps in score from paying down those, and not even to <10% either, but to under 50%.  Just paying one down would probably give you a couple of points and that would give YOU a boost.  Give us the specifics and we will help you take it one step at a time, YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.  I have a total of 9 collection accounts.  8 of them are medical and 2 have been paid, BUT I work for the OC.  I cannot do the HIPAA process.  I can only do the Pre-HIPAA letter.  I have done that on 2 of the accounts (the only ones that are paid).  Those were removed from TU and EX.  I am waiting to see what happens with EQ. 

This is my thought process but I am not sure it is going to work.  I only figure that it is worth a try.  Once I pay the collections to the OC, I will send the Pre-HIPAA letters.  If that doesn't work, I will DV the CA.  I am thinking that since they don't have a business purpose to report, they may just delete.  That is what I am hoping.  Maybe someone can chime in as to whether this has ever worked or not.

I will begin to TRY to start paying the collections off next month. 

The other collection that is NOT medical is a collection that is from Crap One.  The CA is Alpat.  I noticed that Crap One is still reporting the balance.  I did pay the CA about $200 before I found this forum.  Also, the date is wrong for the DOLA.  It was for my son's school loan.  They gave us some leeway with Hurricane Katrina in 2005.  At the end of the loan, I couldn't pay the $1500 all at once.  They sent it to collections, but they show the DOLA as being 2006.  I am hoping that once this is paid that I can DV the CA or dispute it with the CRAs as Incorrect Date.  Maybe someone can chime in to that as well.

I noticed that the increase in utility brought my scores down by about 20 points.  The loan is for school tuition that is renewed every year so I guess I will be going up and down all the time.  It is my only revolving account.I don't know what the new collection has done.  I am too afraid to pull.  I have only pulled once a month, so I am not going to pull again until next month anyway.

See - I told you it is a BIG mess.  Lol.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use the HIPPA process found in the top of this forum. I used that on several medical collections and it worked perfectly.

This will give you a much needed slide forward. Just remember, now that you have taken control you no longer have "what ifs" and although you think this will take forever, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Message 4 of 22
mberry117
Regular Contributor

Honey, this whole past year has been a roller coaster ride.  My score is at it's highest of a whopping 627.  I'm sure it will drop soon.  I am the same way where I take one step forward and 5 steps backwards.  My score goes up and down like mad.

But the upside is, things are getting paid off, things will drop off in the next year, and nothing from this year will show up as I have not defaulted on anything.

What sucks is that it just takes TIME!

All the best!
Michelle
Your Latest FICO® Scores
TransUnion 704 Date: 5/11/11
Equifax 666 Date: 5/11/11

Message 5 of 22
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

I'm sorry your util % took a nosedive because of school tuition.  I know you've been working hard and you've made lots of progress.  We got a $2,500 collection paid and deleted recently.  There was no score increase from it and hubby only has about 5 collection accounts.  I think the key is really attacking the most recent baddies first to see score increases.

Don't get discouraged.  I know hubby was completely discouraged for years due to a BK.  We're finally starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.  It's been a long time coming.

Time is your friend.  Just keep everything current and pay off what you can.

(((((((((JewelryGirl)))))))))
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Repairing and rebuilding is HARD WORK-

Don't let anyone try to tell you different.  Failure is not an option-

You just have to keep plugging away on it until you get the results-

They expect you to quit or give up- don't let them win.
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys soooooooooo much for your motivation.  You don't know what that means to me.  Well, I guess I have to look on the bright side - in 7 years from now, I should have perfect credit.
Message 8 of 22
Tryin2rebuild08
Regular Contributor

Jewlery girl don't be discourage. I felt so depressed when I read your post. If you give up then you'll lose. Only time and prayers will help. I learnt that everything takes time. I'm also a rushy person and want things done now. You can see the progess in my scores. If i had given up i would still be in the late 400s and early 500s. I almost felt like giving up last month when my scores fell, but giving up is not an option!!! These folks are so helpful. You will get there, just keep the faith!
6/20/08 TU=553 EQ=577 EX=458
07/16/08 TU=599 EQ=621 EX= 556
8/05/08 TU=632 EQ=652 EX=598, 9/30/08 TU=632 EQ=655 EX=616
Message 9 of 22
Bklyn395
New Contributor

Hi Jewlery girl!  I just posted something similar, right down to using the same phrase about steps forward/steps back.  I understand how frustrating it is!  I see other sucess stories and get inspired to try to do more to clean up my credit, but I don't get the miracle boosts like other people.  All I can count on is that I am doing more than I was and it will eventually pay off.  Waiting for "eventually" to come isn't very fun though!  Smiley Sad  I wish you the best!
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.