cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Year Journey Recovery after Identity theft...

tag
nax
Regular Contributor

1 Year Journey Recovery after Identity theft...

LOVE THIS SITE!

Identity theft got me YEARS ago! I hired a lawyer and everything was thrown out/taken care of took me 2 years of sending letters to get it all off my credit reports!

Last year I decided it was time to be a big boy and get a credit rating. I pulled my Transunion and find a judgment that was placed on their in 2008!! Called my lawyer and she did some digging and found out its a card from the identity theft. However I can't get rid of it!! Apparently they served me to appear in court in 2008 at an old address of mine in NY and I lived in TN so the judge made a default judgment in the amount of $17,000 something dollars. My lawyer told me that its now past the statue for me to fight this, I guess in NY its 4 years. So this shady collections company who said they served me even though I was 10 states away is knocking down my door and I even received a letter from the police demanding that I pay them 25% of my wages. My lawyer told me they cannot arrest me for it since it’s a civil matter. It is scheduled to drop off my credit May 2015. So a question here, they are just going to renew it aren’t they?

Well I didn’t let this stop me and have continued to try and build my credit for now.

I started on my own 1 year ago to rebuild my credit with 1 positive auto loan (with co-sign) . I added a Secured Capital One card with a $300 limit and received a Credit One Card with a $300 limit and stopped for 1 year. 2 months later I was approved for a small auto loan for $5400.

For the past year I have not missed one payment, I have kept my utilization under 50% and made several large payments a month to my 2 cards.

4 Months ago I added another Auto loan for $10,500 with a horrible interest rate to boot, all payments have been made on time.

My credit one card has received two clis and is now sitting at a $600 limit with no bal.

My Capital One I have increased with additional deposits to $700 currently a $226 bal ( will pay off next week)

Last month I stumbles across Credit Karma and found out I have a 652 credit score, 2 weeks later I found this sire and realized the difference between FICO and FAKO.

Since then I have been reading EVERYTHING I can as I have a goal to obtain a mortgage in the next year or 2.

I had "the itch" 2 weeks ago and Applied for 3 cards to see what would happen, BOA Rewards, Chase Slate and Walmart.

BOA (My bank) gave me the 7 - 10 day and the next day I while checking my bank accounts that a card was added with a $1,000 WOOHOO

Chase 7 - 10 day (no response yet)

Walmart Instant $300 (Used it for a cat carrier and paid it off)

SO I got a little over excited and gave a shot at Barclay and got a NO...

So from what I have read I’ll guess that the best thing for me is to garden and maybe work on my current limits before I get myself into trouble and go backwards?!?!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
TwistedAngel
New Contributor

Re: 1 Year Journey Recovery after Identity theft...

Depending on which Barclays you attempted, you may want to try a recon. Evidence on this site suggests that they are really good about those, but they are jumpy about too many new tradelines, so YMMV.

Other than that, yes. Garden for a while, and watch your score grow.

............11/10.......................03/13..........................11/14..........................03/15..........................03/15............
Message 2 of 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 1 Year Journey Recovery after Identity theft...

You would need to look up NY laws on jusgments on how long they are active and how they can be renewed. If you are living in another state they have to domesticate it in your new state they just cant send letters to the police demanding they take 25% of your wages, it has to go through your courts in TN, I would think you will be able to fight the domestication if you can prove it was from the ID Theft card. I would also check out NY law yourself to see if it can be vacated on grounds of improper service..

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.