Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10 hard inquiries from car dealer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

10 hard inquiries from car dealer

I've managed to remove 2 charged off credit cards and 5 collections from my credit report in the last couple months. Now I'm working on inquiries. I bought a car and it looks like the dealership did 10 hard pulls in same day to eventually find a lender. Even though my scores are up a ton, I am going to get drilled on the inquiries when it's time for me to apply for the handful of credit cards I'm going for. Really don't want to wait two years. Anything I can do about those inquiries? Thanks everyone!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 10 hard inquiries from car dealer

TU had them all reported as one inquiry under the dealers name. EQuifax has it reported as all 10 banks they contacted.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Legitimate inquiries are not going to be removed however as far as fico scoring is concerned they will be counted as one inquiry per cra not as multiple pulls.
Message 3 of 10
azguy13
Senior Contributor

As long as they are coded correctly they only count against your score as one HP. Per FICO scoring, the inquiries will only count against your score for one year but will remain on the report for two years. 

Message 4 of 10
CrankyDave
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Legitimate inquiries are not going to be removed however as far as fico scoring is concerned they will be counted as one inquiry per cra not as multiple pulls.

Weird, I got three hard pulls when I bought mine (even though I explicitly told them what lender I wanted), and they show up as three separate inquiries on all three reports. They'll age off next month, but I still think it's obnoxious.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

This same thing happened to us, but they did 13 inquiries. I just sent letters to all of the places that did the inquiry to prove they had authorization to pull the credit or remove the inquiries. I'll update when I get responses, but I do know a few people that had success getting them removed!
Message 6 of 10
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
This same thing happened to us, but they did 13 inquiries. I just sent letters to all of the places that did the inquiry to prove they had authorization to pull the credit or remove the inquiries. I'll update when I get responses, but I do know a few people that had success getting them removed!

I've had the same thing happen. I am interested to see if you are able to get any deleted

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 7 of 10
800goal800
Frequent Contributor

I have approx 25 hard pulls coming off in September from car shopping.   If I'm understanding, my current scores should not be impacted by this since it has been over a year and therefore I should not expect a bump when they fall off ?

Message 8 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@800goal800 wrote:

I have approx 25 hard pulls coming off in September from car shopping.   If I'm understanding, my current scores should not be impacted by this since it has been over a year and therefore I should not expect a bump when they fall off ?

True, your Fico is only affected for up to 1year on inquiries.

Message 9 of 10
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

They count as one for FICO SCORING PURPOSES. Lenders (e.g. credit cards) still see each as a separate inquiry.

They count for 12 months for SCORING PURPOSES. Lenders can (will) still deny based on too many inquiries.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.