Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-C / 2011 Cancellation of Debt?

tag
2NE1
Established Contributor

1099-C / 2011 Cancellation of Debt?

I recently had success getting a collection removed off my CRs from Equable Ascent Financial LLC. I just recieved in the mail this 2011 1099-C form from a Charge-off WAMU/CHASE acct.

I'm confused as to what this means? am I supposed to add this information when I file my taxes? I had no idea that this debt was tied to my taxes... I settled the account towards the end of 2010, I thought I was done paying it? Smiley Indifferent

"Copy B - For Debtor: This is important tax information and is being furnished to the IRS. If you are required to file a return, a negligence penalty or other sanction may be imposed on you if taxable income results from this transaction and the IRS determines that it has not been reported"

"If a Federal Government agency, certain agencies connected with the Federal Governmebbt, financial institution, credit union, or an organization having a significant trade or business of lending money (such as finance or credit card company) cancels or figuves a debt you owe of $600 or more, this form must be provided to you. Generally, if you are an infividual, you must include all canceled amounts, even if less than $600, on the "Other income" line of Form 1040. Do not report a cancelled debt as income if you did not deduct it but would have been able to do so on your tax return if you had paid it. Also, do not include canceled debts in your income to the extent you were insolvent immediately before the cancellation of the debt. If you exclude a canceled debt from your income, file Form 982"

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: 1099-C / 2011 Cancellation of Debt?

Getting a 1099-C for a "forgiven debt" is a good news - bad news kind of thing. The good news is the debt no longer exists, you can't be sued for it, it does not show up on your credit report and you won't ever have to pay it. The bad news is that the creditor gives you a bit of a "got ya" because now you have to claim the amount of the forgiven debt as  income and pay taxes on it to the IRS.

There are some major exceptions to claiming the income, the most common is that at the time of discharge you would be considered insolvent. I would assume that if a creditor is willing to abandon collection efforts, meaning not just charge off but completely write off the debt and issue a 1099-C, in most cases proving ones self as insolvent is not that difficult. Just include IRS Form 982 with your tax return.   

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/tax-consequences-settled-forgiven-debt-29792.html

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f982.pdf

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4681.pdf

Message 2 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

I should add to my first post, that in certain cases when a debt is settled for less than the full amount and the amount of "write off" is greater than $600 some creditors will issue a 1099-C for the difference. I say "some creditors " because most OC's do not issue 1099-C's in my experience.

As an example say you owed $10,000 and you settled for $6000 with the OC, they could issue a 1099-C for the $4000 forgiven debt. In this case you lose twice, because the account, payoff, collection (et al) will still be reported on your credit report and you'll owe the IRS tax on the $4000 if you don't qualify for its exclusion.

Message 3 of 20
2NE1
Established Contributor

CHASE CL was $2500. the largest balance on this account that EAF LLC was collecting was $1,892 - the amount of debt canceled is $756.54. This 1099-C was issued by the CA, not the OC.

Message 4 of 20
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@2NE1 wrote:

CHASE CL was $2500. the largest balance on this account that EAF LLC was collecting was $1,892 - the amount of debt canceled is $756.54. This 1099-C was issued by the CA, not the OC.

I am not a tax expert or CPA but IMO the ability of a CA to issue you a 1099 is questionable ~ this should come from the OC who actually owns the debt....unless the CA bought the debt for $756 from Chase ( which I doubt .)......

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 20
2NE1
Established Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

I am not a tax expert or CPA but IMO the ability of a CA to issue you a 1099 is questionable ~ this should come from the OC who actually owns the debt....unless the CA bought the debt for $756 from Chase ( which I doubt .)......

Yes, the CA bought the debt for $1,892 - I remember I set up a payment plan of 90 days in the amount of $283.38 for December '10, $426.19 for January '11, and $426.19 for February '11 to satisfy the collection, so now they want me to pay taxes on the $756.54?! ugh... Smiley Sad 

Message 6 of 20
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

Yes, the CA bought the debt for $1,892 - I remember I set up a payment plan of 90 days in the amount of $283.38 for December '10, $426.19 for January '11, and $426.19 for February '11 to satisfy the collection, so now they want me to pay taxes on the $756.54?! ugh... Smiley Sad 

Unfortunately it is not only possible for a CA to do this, it is required by law.

An OC or CA that ceases collection and doesn't sell the debt to another CA or settles a debt such as this is required by the IRS to submit a 1099-C if the difference is over $600. This can be verified by checking the IRS web site and searching under 1099-C. This is one of the motivating factors for CAs to sell the debt year after year creating "Zombie debts" that are beyond reporting or SOL limits. CAs hate filing 1099-Cs when they can't collect anything so they just sell it to another CA for zip.  The IRS 1099-C must be filed whenver the debt is abandoned (or if a CA ceases to actively try to collect) even if it's 10 years after DOFD.

It's weird but it's the law.

As noted above, there is an insolvency defense but it must be filed with the IRS. It often succeeds.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 7 of 20
2NE1
Established Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

Unfortunately it is not only possible for a CA to do this, it is required by law.

An OC or CA that ceases collection and doesn't sell the debt to another CA or settles a debt such as this is required by the IRS to submit a 1099-C if the difference is over $600. This can be verified by checking the IRS web site and searching under 1099-C. This is one of the motivating factors for CAs to sell the debt year after year creating "Zombie debts" that are beyond reporting or SOL limits. CAs hate filing 1099-Cs when they can't collect anything so they just sell it to another CA for zip.  The IRS 1099-C must be filed whenver the debt is abandoned (or if a CA ceases to actively try to collect) even if it's 10 years after DOFD.

It's weird but it's the law.

As noted above, there is an insolvency defense but it must be filed with the IRS. It often succeeds.

Okay, so you're saying the good thing is that I won't ever be seeing this debt pop-up on my CRs years from now because they filed the 1099-C form? Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 20
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@2NE1 wrote:
Okay, so you're saying the good thing is that I won't ever be seeing this debt pop-up on my CRs years from now because they filed the 1099-C form? Smiley Very Happy

That's the good news since they deleted it it is extremely unlikely to pop up again. At least there is some good news.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 9 of 20
by2
Valued Member

Does this also apply to mortgages, i.e foreclosures if issues 1099???

Starting Score:TU 62611/07/2011
Current Score: 72704/23/2012
Starting Score:EQ 60511/07/2011
Current Score: 69012/20/2012
Goal Score: 760+
Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge/Take-the-FICO-Fitness-Challenge-for-...">Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.