Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099-C and balance reporting issues!

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: 1099-C and balance reporting issues!

Guiness56......

What about BK7, and 1099's???? I have a feeling that I'm gonna get some 1099's from some creditors I burned in BK. if Ido, is that legal??? And for the record...., USAA I'd rough to deal with!!! They sent me a 1099 too, and they were IIB, and not reporting right either. I sent one letter and one threatening nasty letter only and that's all it took! It was changed in my reports within 2 weeks.

I still have my car insurance thru them too, lol!!! Have since 1999Smiley Wink
Message 11 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, you cannot get a 1099 from a debt included in a BK.  Once you file a BK the debt is gone.

Message 12 of 30
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Guiness56.... You are just too awesomeSmiley Happy I follow all your advice on everyone, and you are like a walking library of credit knowledge!! LolSmiley Happy thank you!! Btw.... I just posted a new post in "rebuilding" ... Mind taking a look?

Sorry, didn't mean to hJ this postSmiley Happy
Message 13 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 14 of 30
specialksauce
Contributor

TU never responded to my dispute....i have been locked out of the backdoor so can't check to see if they labled the accounts as in dispute...

However, since I am subscribed to EX directly I got two diff alerts on two diff dates that the accounts were updated both times with past due balances increased after the inital dispute was sent out to TU on 10/22. 

EX has changed to correctly report paid, closed. 

EQ is annoying and wouldn't change, so I filed CFPB complaints and sent them the paperwork I sent EQ originally. Waiting to hear back from them. 

Message 15 of 30
sjt
Senior Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

No, you cannot get a 1099 from a debt included in a BK.  Once you file a BK the debt is gone.

I was under the impression that a 1099C is issued regardless of BK. It would not matter though because the debt forgiveness amount is offset by insolvency.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 16 of 30
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

I was under the impression that a 1099C is issued regardless of BK. It would not matter though because the debt forgiveness amount is offset by insolvency.

I have never heard of a 1099 being issued after a BK.  The BK itself wipes any debt clean so technically there would be no debt to fogive via a 1099-C.

I am by no means an expert, just logically it doesn't seem correct. 

You could be held liable for the amount on your taxes.

Message 17 of 30
exp579

Any results from your complaint?

I have a very similar problem....BOA credit card with 1099-C issued. Credit agencies still reported the original balance.

Experian changed balance to zero.

Equifax refused to change after dispute

Transunion: Unknown

Just filed a complaint with CFPB......one for bank of america and one for equifax.

Message 18 of 30
specialksauce
Contributor

After two months, EQ FINALLY changed the balance to zero. Took a couple direct complaints to EQ and then CFPB. They finally updated to zero on 12/31/13. Now all three all report zero like it should. Not sure if it was EQ, TU and EQ directly or if USAA told them to. 

Message 19 of 30
ASCO4LIFE

I am just realizing that my wife's foreclosure and the home equity line attached to it is also still reporting a balance. I app'ed for a CLI and they came back with a denial citing a recent delinquincy. I've been managing her finances since the event, and pay everything on time but it seems that the OC is still dinging her every month with a balance despite having sent a 1099c in 2012 immediately after the charge off. We paid the taxes on it. Could someone share the suggested format of such a dispute with the OC, the CRA or the CFPB? Im thrilled to think that I might be able to get this reduced to just a past derogatory that wont dog us every month for six more years. 

Thanks

Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.