Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10k to use

tag
superdad
Regular Contributor

10k to use

I recieved a settlement "long story" and ended up with 10k, I have about 15K in bad debt on my CR. 10K is medical the other 5K is misc bills, utility ect... Right now my CS is mid 400's.  I do have a finger hut that fallen 60 days behind.  Should I worry more about paying the 5K bills first? I dont really want to spend the whole 15K on my CR

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: 10k to use

What is the statute of limitation in your state? Are many of these charge offs/collections nearing the SOL? Are there some that you recently received a dunning notice, or hounding you with phone calls currently? If anything you can try to get a "Pay for Delete" when you approach them. Google the names ie , XYZ Collections pay for delete and see if that returns any results on if they are ones that are easier to work with than others. As far as open credit, Fingerhut, pay that current immediately. 

Message 2 of 6
superdad
Regular Contributor

The midicals are all last year, the others will age off in the next year or two along with my bankrupt. None of them are calling or harrsing me for money.  I am looking to buy a house and plan on trying to get seured CC but burned cap one already. 

Message 3 of 6
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

I would pay the newest issues first because the older ones are just going to continue to age.  So, get FHT current.  Also, if you have any credit cards, get them under 9% total utilization asap, and each individual card under 9% asap (so total still < 9%).

Then start working on the older issues.

Message 4 of 6
superdad
Regular Contributor

I dont have any other CC's, i do have a 12K student loan thats 20 years old and isnt even on my CR.  I will check which non medical are updating and try and do a PFD, if they wont i will just pay them.  I was thinking of contacting a morgage lender to get there advice also.

Message 5 of 6
Hopelives2
Regular Contributor

I have found that mortgage lenders are the worst advisers on how to fix credit issues.  Stay here.  THIS is the best place on the web for accurate advice.

Why not lenders?

Lenders: pay off collections

Truth: pay only AFTER getting a PFD in writing, sending Certified Return Receipt Requested (CRRR) and then in cashier's check form

Lenders: pay off AND CLOSE all credit card accounts that are not being used

Truth: paying them down to $0 is good, closing them could be, depending on mix, very bad as you might be closing one of your oldest credit card accounts that helps your score

Lender: things over 5 years won't hurt you

Truth: anything still on your credit report hurts you, just not as much and they will (if collections) be required to paid at closing which means you cannot PFD at that point

Not saying lenders are bad advisers with credit (well, I sort of am) but after buliding, losing, building again, losing my credit - I know what to do and what not to do because of here.  Not CK, not CC.com, not... just here (save for student loans - I go elsewhere for that).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.