Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

139 credit score???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

139 credit score???

Hello everyone!

Quick summary I am a mid-20 year old who graduated from college 4 years ago, I am currently in professional management, and I never really paid any attention to my credit score, Big surprise! So I had a credit card while in college. I got screwed by a school that I was taking summers courses with. They said that my financial aid paperwork came in too late... I think they lost it... long story short I had to out of pocket 1 semester of undergraduate work since I couldn't prove that I sent it in on time. I ended up putting it on my credit card since I had no other options. I ended up having this card go to collections since I had no form of income coming in while in college. On to after graduating from college... the job I got after graduating didn't really allow me a lot of spare room. By the time I got the job I am currently at I had defaulted on my student loans. Now on to the situation I am currently at! I spoke with the collections agency that held my credit card debt and I negotiated a lower price to pay in full. That debt is taken care of. I am currently in process of repaying my student loan debt. They have a big "rehabilitation period" you have to go through with the collections agency by paying on time before it gets to the loan originator. I went to apply for a dental loan a couple months ago with Care Credit and they said they had to deny me for "Serious delq/collection filed, number of delinquent accounts, time since collection item reported, and lack of revolving account information." They said that my credit score was 577. This was as of 4/26 with Trans Union. I told myself that I can do the adult responsible thing and work on my credit score now that I have a job that I am moving quickly up in. A couple days ago I wentto Time Warner Cable to get Internet in my house. I guess they run your credit to see if they should charge you a deposit. I got a letter afterward that my credit score is 139 with Experian. They said it was for 00006 - derogatory medical utility account, 00018 - lack of open service/professional accounts, 00013 - insufficient available credit on revolving accounts, 00004 - recently opened account not current. I don't have a derogatory medical utility account. I didn't open a recent account either. When I went to their website to view the actual things being reported on my credit report nothing was listed about a medical utility account or anything recently opened. I have 5 student loan accounts that were closed when the collections agency bought them. Then I have 5 open student loan accounts once they were transferred back to the loan originator as of earlier this year. I also have the Bank of America credit card that shows it is closed and paid. Nothing else! Does it make any sense that they would give me a 139 credit score? Regardless... what do I do now to get myself where I need to be. I want to get my score in the high 600s or low 700s at minimum. If I am ever to get a house or a personal loan (which I hope I never will need to), I want to have respectable credit. I also work for a company where they will let me reimburse $400+ a month. I am missing out on so many airline points! I applied for a wells fargo credit card a year ago and I was denied. However, recently they sent me stuff saying that I am selected to apply for a card. I don't know if they have some algorithm to determine the amount of cash deposited into an account to get a estimate for preapproval without running someones credit. If my credit score shows up as 139 I know I won't get a credit card.

So my questions:

How do I start with improving my credit score? - Should I get a secured credit card?

What is the derogatory medical utility account that Experian is talking about?

Which company should I use to keep track of the improvement?

Thanks for any advise!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
denver133
Frequent Contributor

Re: 139 credit score???

Hi CaliforniaLife,

First, the 139 score is an internal score from TIme warner.  Not your actual credit score.  Those are as low as 300 and I don't think I have ever seen anyone in the 300s.  Trust me, I was close being in the low 400s and it took a lot to get down there.  lol  

First, pull your FREE reports from annualcreditreport.com.  There you can get a true copy of all 3 of your reports.  Once you get those, you can start to weight the good and bad cause you will have a true report.  

Any past due balances or unpaid collections need to have a PFD letter sent. That is if you can afford to pay those debts.  

If everything is paid up, start sending out GW letters.  

If you don't have a current credit card right now, I would recommend a secured card. I recommend the US bank card as it is easy to graduate after 12 months of use.

Pull those reports and list the negative items you have and I think we will be able to guide you down the right path.  

My Cards: CSP: $5,000 // Hyatt: $5,000 // Cap1 Venture: $5,000 // US Bank Plat: $3,500 // Discover: $1,000 // AMEX BCE: $1,000 // Lowes: $5,500 // Furniture Row: $3,500 // Buckle Store Card: $750

Current MyFico Scores: EX 687 EQ 696 TU 687 Gardening from 5/15 till 5/16

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.