cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 Year old Judgement that has long fallen off credit reports. What to do now??

tag
happy0510
Established Contributor

Re: 14 Year old Judgement that has long fallen off credit reports. What to do now??

Hi Midnight, I settled an old judgement with FORD and it was still there (on my CR) when I bought my house but I was required to show the payment in full.

If I were you, prior to dishing out all that cash, check to see if they re-activated the judgment after 10 years.  If not, you are good.

Second, talk to a mortgage broker about this.  They will help you decide what needs to be done.

Starting Score: 615
Current Score: 709
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 22
coterotie
Established Contributor

Re: 14 Year old Judgement that has long fallen off credit reports. What to do now??

NY is 20 years for the first enforcement period.  Your real property may be safe from the judgement depending on how it was filed etc.  Here is where an internet board isn't your friend.  Need to consult an attorney.

We settled a judgment for my wife for 40% of the remaining balance after paying on it for a couple of years.  It will fall off the CR shortly and we got an immediate boost when it was satisfied.  In your case, the credit reporting is moot.

Since they made an offer to you, make a counter offer to them.  You might be surprised what you can work out.  Get them to stop accruing interest and accept a reasonable amount per month.  Having the agreement in place will let you start doing things like a "normal" person.  Nice thing about attorneys (unlike typical bottom feeding Debt Collectors) is that they can be subject to sanctions if they don't keep their word.  Get it in writing and you are usually protected.

@MidnightJester wrote:

I am not sure if I am past  SOL where they can reinforce the judgement a second time. I am trying to learn. This is what I know. Judgement is from 2000 or so. in 2007 opened a TD BANK checking account. 3 months later had 3,000 seized from account and account held. I stoped banking. now 2014 my credit files are as clear as you can get.

As far as I can learn to this point. There is nothing bad they can relist on my credit files but they can enforce the judgement (take accounts and possibly wage garnishment) till I satisfy the judgement by coming to terms with fords attorney where I live in NY, And with some payment plan with them they still cannont list anything DEROG on my credit file even if I pay them less then fully owed. What is the time frame for redoing a judgement. When I look in NY is seems its 5 years for judgements from what I found. not 100% on that though

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.