cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$158 collection from Midland for Verizon- help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

$158 collection from Midland for Verizon- help!

Verizon tricked me into adding an additional line to my account so that I could get a faster upgrade of my phone. I explained I didn't need, nor would I ever use the additional line. Fast forward to the end of my contract and my desire to  switch over to Sprint. Well Verizon tried to convince me to stay and eventually agreed to close my account. Shortly thereafter I get a bill for $158 for closing my account before eligible. They said the second line served as a new account and the calendar year on when I could close that account was seperate from my original line. WTH? That is shady! I disputed it, asked for DV and got nothing and then I heard from Midland incessantly....but I refuse to pay that! Now that I am trying to get a mortgage and this is one of 2 thorns in my side...I want  it off of my credit. My fear is that I pay it and it still messes with my score. I need advice on what steps to take. Should I send a PFD to Verizon? its only showing on 2 CRA's so i am afraid to call midland and awaken the dragon....help?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mo6579
Contributor

Re: $158 collection from Midland for Verizon- help!

If its semi-recent, call Verizon and see if they still own it/can recall it. If so, pay the $158 so they do that. I wouldn't even argue the details with the CSR at this point.

If not, someone else will need to chime in, because I paid midland through their 60% settlement and have yet to get a GW deletion :-(. By the way, check in the mortgage forum, this collection might not be hurting you all too badly.

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't pay it. I just got Midland to agree to delete a bogus Collection for T-Mobile and I'm not paying a dime. File a complaint with the CFPB against Midland (just clearly state why you don't believe you owe the debt, that Midland didn't respond to your DV). You can also dispute with the BBB. I think the CFPB should do it though.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.