Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18 years old

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

18 years old

im 18 last september,my mother froze my account'creit agencys because someone in texas opened some kind of account,i keep trying to fight it but with no knowledge i dont know what to do,so now i have a capital pone card prepaid 200.00 to rebuild my credit,'i hope.anyone out there with any answers.thanks thomas.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 18 years old

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

First thing you should do is to pull ALL 3 CRs. You can get them for free once a year via annualcreditreport.com. You need the full reports in order to proceed. You can also unfreeze your reports directly from each CRA, but I'd wait. If you have anything reporting that is not yours, then you'd want to keep the freeze on for now. BTW, make sure it is a freeze as opposed to a fraud alert. Two different things.

Next, study each report very thoroughly. Look at all the accounts to make sure they are yours. Look at the hard and soft inquiries to make sure nobody is sniffing around your reports and applying using your credit. Finally, look at your demographic info to make sure your current name and address are correct. Look also at the past names and addresses. If anything is unfamiliar, then you can see the address(es) and name(s) used.

If in the all clear and there's nothing wrong, then you'd have to weigh lifting that freeze. You'd have to do that with all 3 reports. If the ID theft issue was recent, then I'd leave the freeze in place. If older, then you can certainly lift it and I do recommend subscribing to a credit monitoring service that monitors all 3 reports on a daily basis. If anything comes up again, then you can take fast action. I was a victim of ID theft over the summer and it spreads very quickly.

If there are accounts reporting that are not yours, then call the police ASAP! File a police report for ID theft. That report is virtually mandatory in removing anything that isn't yours. If you dispute "not mine" without that report, it'll probably just get verified. If you already filed a police report, then contact the detective or whoever is handling that to update them on any changes based on your report pull. Next, if anything isn't yours, then mail in a dispute directly with all three CRAs with a copy of your police report. They'll remove it.

Make sure your Capital One is a secured card as opposed to a pre-paid card. There's a difference, though I don't believe CapOne offers pre-paid cards anyway. If a secured card, then you are taking a positive step forward.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.