Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

19 point drop... Why?

tag
Ktwilson227
Established Member

19 point drop... Why?

Hi Everyone,

So my paid Verizon collection finally updated to show a zero balance. I got a nice 10 and 15 point boost from EX and TU which was great. Then... wait for it.. Score Alert... Dropped my EQ from 592 to 573... **bleep** was my initial reaction, but even after I have calmed myself down I still can't figure out why my score would drop 19 points? Does anyone have any advice/words of wisdom as to why it dropped? Score watch says nothing useful, no new negative info has been added. Why do the credit gods hate me so?!

Thanks for listening.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: 19 point drop... Why?

@Ktwilson227 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

So my paid Verizon collection finally updated to show a zero balance. I got a nice 10 and 15 point boost from EX and TU which was great. Then... wait for it.. Score Alert... Dropped my EQ from 592 to 573... **bleep** was my initial reaction, but even after I have calmed myself down I still can't figure out why my score would drop 19 points? Does anyone have any advice/words of wisdom as to why it dropped? Score watch says nothing useful, no new negative info has been added. Why do the credit gods hate me so?!

Thanks for listening.

Paying collections will never help your FICO score, and often will lower it unfortunately, if the collection is made to appear more recent as a result of the update.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
Ktwilson227
Established Member

So since it was showing as a collection, once I paid it and zero'd the balance it dinged me again for being in collections? Even though that lowered my overall DTI ratio?

Message 3 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Ktwilson227 wrote:

So since it was showing as a collection, once I paid it and zero'd the balance it dinged me again for being in collections? Even though that lowered my overall DTI ratio?

Yep, that's pretty much it unfortunately.  Unless you can negotiate a PFD, your FICO score will often take a hit when paying collections.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 5
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

+1

Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.