orlandodean

1yr after Bankruptcy dischage- should I apply for a credit card?

My equifax score is 670 as of today.

I have no reason to get a credit card other than to build back up my credit.

The only reason I'm considering getting a card is to make my credit better for when I apply for an auto loan in 6-12mos.

When I did the fico score simulator with a new credit card of $1500 it showed my score could be up or down in the future.

So, in the real world would getting a credit card and using <10% of it monthly while kepping it paid in full every month boost my credit in 6-12mos?

Thanks,

Dean

Shogun

Re: 1yr after Bankruptcy dischage- should I apply for a credit card?

Revolving accts. compromise 35% of your FICO score.  So yes, demonstrating good use of Revolving credit is essential for an increased score.

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Regular Contributor
Guyatthebeach

Dean,

I would definitely get a credit card. I would make sure the credit line is no more than 10% of your total income, since your main goal is to get a car loan in a year. With a score of 670, you shouldn't have a problem getting from a bank or credit union. I got one from my credit union unsecured at 10.99% six months after my bankruptcy was discharged. In my case I did have a secured card with them. I also got approved for a Barclay's Apple Finance card as well.

Good luck and keep us posted!

orlandodean

Hmm.  Okay.  I'll apply for a card at my credit union tomorrow. Thanks for the advice!

Dean

Regular Contributor
Guyatthebeach

If you don't mind, which credit union do you use and where do you live? I live in SC.

orlandodean

North Carolina State Employee's Credit Union.

Regular Contributor
Guyatthebeach

I hear State Credit Union is real good. You should not have a problem. If you do have a problem, I know PNC offers a secured card, because I bank with them as well as with SC State Credit Union.

Regular Contributor
apandabear

SECU is a great credit union. They have several products for those with not-so-stellar credit and finances. 

I don't know specifically what they have for rebuilding, but they're great people and should give you a shot.

I LOVE credit unions.. You aren't a customer, you aren't just a way to make money. You're a member. It's such a different world.

And it's nice seeing locals around here too! Good luck. Let us know how it pans out.. And what the CUs products look like!

2009-10 - C/Os
2011 - Debts paid, no open credit
2012 - Rebuilding started, secured cards opened, SL rehabbed - EQ myFICO 636
2014 - 10k Discover, 3.5k Freedom, AmEx Green, SL, Auto Loan - EQ myFICO 695

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+