Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 CAs and 1 account

tag
adio413
Regular Contributor

2 CAs and 1 account

hey folks,

i have 2 collection agencies (southwest credit and convergent) trying to collect on a bill from at&t from one year ago. i sent a DV letter to both CA. i got a response back from southwest validating it  (about 2 weeks ago) and today i got a letter from bureauof collection recovery LLC for the exact same amount ($563.71 with a collection charge of $101.47).

i think convergent may have sold this account to bureau of collection recovery who sent me this "validation" letter. can they do this so soon?  DOFD is only 1 year old.

is it possible to have 2 different CAs collecting for 1 account at the same time!??! i can only pay one of them, i refuse to give both money for the exact same thing.

thanks

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
adio413
Regular Contributor

Re: 2 CAs and 1 account

bump

Message 2 of 17
icanimprove
Established Member

IMHO it seems like Southwest Credit sold the account to Convergent. It is not uncommon for this to happen. In this situation I would consider calling Southwest Credit to determine if they still own the account. In any event both CA's should not be collecting on the same account at the same time. Has either CA reported to the CRA's?  

I hope one of the Mods or more experienced members responds to your question. I'm curious as to what insight they can provide about this kind of situation.   

Message 3 of 17
adio413
Regular Contributor

@icanimprove wrote:

IMHO it seems like Southwest Credit sold the account to Convergent. It is not uncommon for this to happen. In this situation I would consider calling Southwest Credit to determine if they still own the account. In any event both CA's should not be collecting on the same account at the same time. Has either CA reported to the CRA's?  

I hope one of the Mods or more experienced members responds to your question. I'm curious as to what insight they can provide about this kind of situation.   

actually, they're both reporting to the CRA right now

IF that is the case......... that SW sold the account to convergent, who then sold the account to bureau of collections LLC......... then what do i do?

if thats NOT the case............ still, what do i do? i refuse to pay both of them, copmpletely refuse. absoluteLEE refuse!!

Message 4 of 17
adio413
Regular Contributor

ttt

Message 5 of 17
adio413
Regular Contributor

another bump

Message 6 of 17
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

No both CA's cannot attempt to collect the same debt and list a balance owed on your reports. Now if the first ca sold the account to ca "B" they would then need to update the status to sold/transferred/closed (something along those lines) and must report a zero balance.

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 7 of 17
adio413
Regular Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:

No both CA's cannot attempt to collect the same debt and list a balance owed on your reports. Now if the first ca sold the account to ca "B" they would then need to update the status to sold/transferred/closed (something along those lines) and must report a zero balance.

thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  any idea how i can find out if this was the case or not?

Message 8 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I would send a direct dispute to each debt collector, with the same alleged inaccuracy.... reporting a collection on a debt that is currently being reported by another debt collector.

One must update their current collection balance to $0.  Let them tell you their active collection authority.

Message 9 of 17
adio413
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

I would send a direct dispute to each debt collector, with the same alleged inaccuracy.... reporting a collection on a debt that is currently being reported by another debt collector.

One must update their current collection balance to $0.  Let them tell you their active collection authority.

how do i do this?

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.