Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 CAs one Debt

tag
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

2 CAs one Debt

I have a debt from early 2012 that went into collections. I saw on my credit report where there are now 2 different collection company's reporting on it. I sent the CA with the oldest data on it a DV since I thought they sold it to another company and should not be reporting. -I may be wrong about this. But I received a letter back with the validation and saying to send any payment to their office. So which CA would I dispute for validation of debt or send a PFD? The original CA or the one they sold it to?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 2 CAs one Debt

If the first CA sold the debt to another CA, they are supposed to remove their TL from your CR.

Which one responded to the DV, the first one?

Message 2 of 10
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

I just had this happen. I disputed one of the CAs as sold to another creditor and after a few days TU deleted it.
Message 3 of 10
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Yes, the first CA responded demanding payment be sent to their office. Do I dispute again or call them since it clearly shows they must have sold it on my CR?

Message 4 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Did you send a DV to both of the CAs that are on your account?  What do the TLs show, is there a balance listed on both of them?  If so, this is a No,No.  Is there anyway you can removed the personal identification markers of the account and post it on here so we could see it?

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 10
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

I only sent a DV letter to the CA that first began reporting. But now when I did a little more investigating it shows the first CA which is called Rent Recover reporting on all CRs but then on my Transuion CR it shows Rent Recover and Pride Recovery both showing a balance collecting for the same orginal debt and I think it they might be the same CA just with different names and in different states? I am really confused about this and even how to go about my next steps.

Message 6 of 10
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

So this is what I found out. The CA changed its name and is now reporting balances for the OC under both names- its former and new name, is this possible to do?

Message 7 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Nope.  They can't report twice.

July 2013 score:

Message 8 of 10
anca21bi
Frequent Contributor

Should I DV again or dispute on CR?

Message 9 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I would do a direct dispute with them and advise them that they are reporting twice and this is a violation.  Should they choose to do nothing about it, I'd file complaints with the FTC and your State AG and the BBB.

July 2013 score:

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.