cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Derogatories left - paid one to OC today and didn't even contact CA - what next?

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: 2 Derogatories left - paid one to OC today and didn't even contact CA - what next?

Sending  debt validation (DV) request after payment of the debt would accomplish little more than filling the trash can of the debt collector.

First, a DV at this point would no longer be timely, as it would be sent more than 30 days after dunning notice.

And even if timely, a DV only imposes a cease collection bar; it does not impose any requrement or period for sending validation.

With the debt paid, the debt collector no longer has continued basis for pursue collection,and thus could care less about a cease collection bar.

It thus can be ignored.

The OP now has the possibility to obtain a PFD from the debt collector.

That is not necessarily the wrong approach.  It may not work, but neither would simply paying the OC.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 Derogatories left - paid one to OC today and didn't even contact CA - what next?

pay for delete is the best, although i have never obtained one...

have OC recall the CA debt is also good, although i was never succesfull ...

Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So the best option is #3, after dispute is resolved with payment to OC and I have the $ back on the credit card, then call CA and request a PfD?

I just have to wait on the dispute resolution I suppose.

If the CA won't do a PfD, I won't pay. I'll just have to wait for it to age off the report. It is from 2014, so I'd have to wait until 2021, correct? What about "early exclusion", how does that work and would it work in this case?

Message 13 of 14
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Early Exclusion is when the derogatory item is removed early, generally 6 months tops.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.