Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 State tax liens.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 State tax liens.

I have 2 state tax liens from NY on my credit report totalling 3k for 2 periods i didnt file before i cancelled the license . This stems from a time a few years ago when i applied for a tax id license to charge sales tax for an online bussiness i was trying to start up. I've just recently started trying to clear up my terrible credit and noticed them. The problem is that i never did charge any tax. I contacted them and filed the correct return for the period and stated it was my last return. So now I only have to pay a $50 late fee. My question is how do i actually go about getting both instances totally removed from my credit report? Thank you for any replies.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

Re: 2 State tax liens.

What are the filing dates for the two tax liens? Have they been updated to "released"?

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

One is from 2012 and one is from Dec 2013. One of the judgements has been removed from my NY tax online account. They said they're going to send me a letter saying that it's resolved. Probably for the individual judgements. So since the judgements are in the public record which is where the credit bureaus found them, do i send this letter to the county clerk or to the bureaus themselves? Or both?
Message 3 of 17
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

So, are these showing as judgments or tax liens on your credit reports? If judgments, they should be updated to "satisfied" and if tax liens, "released." Either will have about the same impact on your score, but there will be differences in how you'll want to go about attempting to get them deleted from your credit reports or updated to show paid.

Since you said "county clerk" it sounds like might talking about judgments resulting from tax liens - or both - in which case, my suggestion would be to contact the county clerk on how to get a "satisfaction of judgment" recorded, then, if in fact they were the result of an error of some kind, file a dispute with the credit bureau. But having said that, and I hope I'm wrong, don't bet on them complying, since they're under no obligation to do so. If it's a tax lien, contact the county or state tax agency with your story of how it wasn't your fault, if indeed it wasn't, and maybe you'll get a kind person there to help.

It's really hard to get public records removed, though showing them resolved will look a lot better to your creditors, especially future mortgage lenders. Also, remember that the older they get the less impact they'll have on your score.

Hopefully, someone who has been successful at getting public records deleted will reply with a better solution.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well they're in fact on my credit reports as tax liens. I was referring to them as judgements in reference to the states designation of me owing them. Ive been in contact with them and the records should be updated by tuesday with my new balance $50, which im going to pay immediately. Both tax liens are definitely mistakes. I only owe them a $50 late file penalty. So in that case then is it fairly simple to have them removed efter recieving the letter that is been resolved? 

Message 5 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Well they're in fact on my credit reports as tax liens. I was referring to them as judgements in reference to the states designation of me owing them. Ive been in contact with them and the records should be updated by tuesday with my new balance $50, which im going to pay immediately. Both tax liens are definitely mistakes. I only owe them a $50 late file penalty. So in that case then is it fairly simple to have them removed efter recieving the letter that is been resolved? 

They need to be withdrawn to come off your report and I would ask them to do that for you if they are in fact in error.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So when they are deemed to be errors the state tax agency will be the one to remove them from my credit report?
Message 7 of 17
Barry
Administrator Emeritus

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

They need to be withdrawn to come off your report and I would ask them to do that for you if they are in fact in error.

I agree you have justification for pushing to have those tax liens removed from your credit report. But being public records, they're not typically reported to the bureaus like trade lines - rather, the bureaus have third parties that go out and gather public records. As a result, getting this info removed or even corrected can be difficult. But you have good reason to persist.

It may have to be that all the people you're in contact with will do is provide you with a letter basically explaining that the public records were not your fault and that they should be removed from your credit reports. Whether they agree to contact the bureau directly or put it back on you, you'll definitely want to have a letter (with someone's name on it) since you'll also want to dispute the liens directly with the credit bureaus anyway, and providing a copy of the letter and any other documentation will help support your cause.

Message 8 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
So when they are deemed to be errors the state tax agency will be the one to remove them from my credit report?

Barry has given you the correct explanation that they are not the ones who put them there, the CRAs buy the info from companies that send runners to gather all the  info. You are going to need a letter as he suggests from the taxing authority that they were in error or a formal lien withdrawal.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I spoke to them yesterday and have some more info. They're sending me a warrant vacated letter for the second lien, but since the first one is going down from $1467 to $50 and not to $0 they cant vacate it. So this means it will just be a satisfaction letter. I'm really going to try and fight to have it vacated after that though, I've read that some people have had luck contacting the comptrollers office directly.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.