Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Tradelines For the Same Item

tag
Jlp550

2 Tradelines For the Same Item

Hi Everyone!

Not sure what to do about the current situation:

I have 1 tradeline for NATIONAL GRID for $407 and then the Collection account from NATIONAL RECOVERY AGENCY.  This is the last baddie on my report. The National Recovery Agency will continue on my report until Feb 2017 and the National Grid tradeline will continue on my report until July 2015. (Yes, these are for the same amount due)

What should be my action plan:

• Whom should I pay? National Grid or National Recovery?
  • Should I ask for a PFD and if so to which tradeline?
  • Will the other tradeline remain if I get one deleted?
  • and finally, should they be both reporting?

Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

Starting Score: 514 (7/1/2012)
Current Score: EQ 782 (10/3/15) TU 775 (10/3/15) EX 788 (10/3/15)
No collections at all.

Gardening until 2017 at least.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 Tradelines For the Same Item

Sounds like your debt was sold.  Both would report.  I doubt National Grid would accept payment if they sold the debt, someone with more knowledge could probably provide more insight.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 2 of 7
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Both can report, but only one can be reporting a balance if the debt was sold. The OC should report zero, and the CA would report the balance. It's unclear if your debt was actually sold though. The CA might just be collecting on behalf of the OC.

I'd start with the OC, National Grid. Contact them, and see if they can pull the debt back from the CA and agree to delete the reporting, in exchange for you paying them directly. If they sold it, they might not be able to do this.

If you have to deal with the CA, then offer them a PFD. In that case, you'd then also have to try to goodwill the OC into deleting their reporting.

Good luck!

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 3 of 7
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Can both be reporting if the CA is just collecting on behalf of the OC?  I was under the impression in that scenario just the CA would be reporting.  I guess the balance in this scenario would be the deciding factor.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 4 of 7
Jlp550

Thanks! Both are reporting a balance. I am going to try to get National Grid to pull back the debt and deal directly with them. Is there something I should do to get only one to report a balance?

Starting Score: 514 (7/1/2012)
Current Score: EQ 782 (10/3/15) TU 775 (10/3/15) EX 788 (10/3/15)
No collections at all.

Gardening until 2017 at least.
Message 5 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Jlp550 wrote:

Thanks! Both are reporting a balance. I am going to try to get National Grid to pull back the debt and deal directly with them. Is there something I should do to get only one to report a balance?

+1  If both are reporting a balance then the CA is only being assigned the debt.  Try to get the OC to pull the debt back and do a PFD with them.  There is no guarantee that either of these will work, but it's your best possible outcome so try it first.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Its not double-reporting of debt. 

The owner of a debt can report the remaining balance owed to them.  If they choose to assign collection to a debt collector, what the debt collector is actually reporting is not debt owed to them, but rather the amount of debt owed another that they have been assigned responsibility to attempt collection.  Thus, both can report the amount, as they reflect different things.

If the debt collector then purchases the debt, the amount they are reporting continues to be the amount they are authorized to attempt to collect, and additionally becomes the amount of debt owed to them.  The actual debt is only reported by one party, so if sold, the OC must update their reporting to $0.

You cannot base ownership of debt on the fact that a debt collector is reporting a balance they are attempting to collect.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.