Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 apps, same bank, within hours, massively different score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 apps, same bank, within hours, massively different score

Last week I was approved instantly with Amazon with a 622 Fico. I followed and applied with Gap(same bank) and received a 4-5 day online notice. i got the notice last night and it reported my score as 421?! WHAT? nothing was differnt or changed. anyone seen anything like this?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 2 apps, same bank, within hours, massively different score

@Anonymous wrote:

Last week I was approved instantly with Amazon with a 622 Fico. I followed and applied with Gap(same bank) and received a 4-5 day online notice. i got the notice last night and it reported my score as 421?! WHAT? nothing was differnt or changed. anyone seen anything like this?

Could be the result of a split file.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What does that mean?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

what does that mean?

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

what does that mean

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My situation was not exactly like yours as it was not the same bank but I applied for, and was denied for, both a USAA Visa card and a Wells Fargo Visa card within minutes of each other. When I got the adverse action notices in the mail, both showed my Equifax score as 637 and 647. I also applied for a Discover IT the very same day and that denial letter showed my Equifax score as 586.  My Equifax score as per CCT is 587 and has been right around there since September of 2015. It's my only score that has not really moved since I started watching it.  Hey, I would gladly accept either 637 or 647 but I have no idea why the scores that creditors use vary so much.  There is a huge difference between 586 and 647.  Right now, getting above 640 across the board is my goal. I'm at 587-607 according to CCT. 

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

While the OP scores are a head bangers and as mentioned more likely a split file

meaning that someone only has partial info while another has closer to a full file

that ones requires research on what and how data is being recorded, period

But for

@Anonymous wrote:

My situation was not exactly like yours as it was not the same bank but I applied for, and was denied for, both a USAA Visa card and a Wells Fargo Visa card within minutes of each other. When I got the adverse action notices in the mail, both showed my Equifax score as 637 and 647.

I also applied for a Discover IT the very same day and that denial letter showed my Equifax score as 586.  

My Equifax score as per CCT is 587 and has been right around there since September of 2015. It's my only score that has not really moved since I started watching it.  Hey, I would gladly accept either 637 or 647 but I have no idea why the scores that creditors use vary so much.  There is a huge difference between 586 and 647.  Right now, getting above 640 across the board is my goal. I'm at 587-607 according to CCT. 

this is a way more common situation...

Vendors have the option of ordering different models that weight the exact same info differently sometimes slightly hence a varience of 637 to 647 (which is WAY common) at other times even more....

Ex: Some vendors may use a generic Eqx.....while another wants the National Bank card specific model and yet another wants the enhancement of 'weight' to be 3 years vs 5 years....

Trust me very frustrating for clients and vendor sales ppl (been there) I've seen siutions where a person can finance a house, a diamond but can't get enough points on the model the alarm company uses to be approved for a stinking alarm contract....

At times, I've had to explain to a homeowner that yes we can finance the freaking room addition and the roof but ADT and DishNetwork say no go for the alarm and the B.S. satellite dish, as the homeowner's wife pulls in, in the newly financed BMW

Scoring models can be like a person falling in love with theit i-phone 4 and not giving a crap about the 'new' model/version they want to stick with what works, what got them there ...and guess what the vender can use whatever model they choose, whatever they are comfortabe with.....

This is why I laugh when folks talk about 'well the NEW model is gonna'....the 'new' ain't gonna do snit until a large amount of folks abandon what they are comfortable with to take a  chance on the 'new' way to vet 'risk'....ppl are always slow to change in general but a lendor who has history and data using what their used to being comfortable with smething 'new' where they won't have 'real' in the field data for years yeah, right they'll 'try' the new snit using their MONEY ...yeah that's funny.

That's why the Vantage score hasn't 'popped' yet...c'mon the data is collected by the same data collectors but banks are used to Fico...Vantage can have all the graphs and number crunching they want the lending industry says 'yeah, we'll let somebody ELSE bet their farm on the 'new' slick kid on the block we'll stick with this old stuff we know but it's mighty pretty..........

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

what does that mean

A split file often results from an unusually large amount of soft pulls on a relatively thick file. But it can also happen randomly. Basically its exactly what it sounds like, your file gets split into two separate files, each containing different data. When someone pulls your file, there is no telling which "piece" they may get.

I would call the CRA and tell them you believe you may have a split file.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in a similar scenario, and here's why it happened to me.

We pulled my husbands credit report to prepare to buy him a car.  His three scores showed a range of 630-650.

When we went to the dealership they told us he had a 619....

This blew me away and I wanted to know how that could have happened. We went to other dealerships/car lots and one pulled a 625, and a 669.

Turns out that it is up to the lender of which formula they use to determine your credit score.

The first dealership we went to gave him a 619 using Auto Score 8, The 669 was from using Auto Score 2 (of course we signed with this dealership)

I now know to ask or see if they advertise which Score Formula version the lender is using.  

Is is possible this is the same concept for cards too?  I mean even if it is overall the same company/bank it is possible that the different branches or sister company's use different formulas?

That's my guess through my own experience.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

While the OP scores are a head bangers and as mentioned more likely a split file

meaning that someone only has partial info while another has closer to a full file

that ones requires research on what and how data is being recorded, period

But for

@Anonymous wrote:

My situation was not exactly like yours as it was not the same bank but I applied for, and was denied for, both a USAA Visa card and a Wells Fargo Visa card within minutes of each other. When I got the adverse action notices in the mail, both showed my Equifax score as 637 and 647.

I also applied for a Discover IT the very same day and that denial letter showed my Equifax score as 586.  

My Equifax score as per CCT is 587 and has been right around there since September of 2015. It's my only score that has not really moved since I started watching it.  Hey, I would gladly accept either 637 or 647 but I have no idea why the scores that creditors use vary so much.  There is a huge difference between 586 and 647.  Right now, getting above 640 across the board is my goal. I'm at 587-607 according to CCT. 

this is a way more common situation...

Vendors have the option of ordering different models that weight the exact same info differently sometimes slightly hence a varience of 637 to 647 (which is WAY common) at other times even more....

Ex: Some vendors may use a generic Eqx.....while another wants the National Bank card specific model and yet another wants the enhancement of 'weight' to be 3 years vs 5 years....

Trust me very frustrating for clients and vendor sales ppl (been there) I've seen siutions where a person can finance a house, a diamond but can't get enough points on the model the alarm company uses to be approved for a stinking alarm contract....

At times, I've had to explain to a homeowner that yes we can finance the freaking room addition and the roof but ADT and DishNetwork say no go for the alarm and the B.S. satellite dish, as the homeowner's wife pulls in, in the newly financed BMW

Scoring models can be like a person falling in love with theit i-phone 4 and not giving a crap about the 'new' model/version they want to stick with what works, what got them there ...and guess what the vender can use whatever model they choose, whatever they are comfortabe with.....

This is why I laugh when folks talk about 'well the NEW model is gonna'....the 'new' ain't gonna do snit until a large amount of folks abandon what they are comfortable with to take a  chance on the 'new' way to vet 'risk'....ppl are always slow to change in general but a lendor who has history and data using what their used to being comfortable with smething 'new' where they won't have 'real' in the field data for years yeah, right they'll 'try' the new snit using their MONEY ...yeah that's funny.

That's why the Vantage score hasn't 'popped' yet...c'mon the data is collected by the same data collectors but banks are used to Fico...Vantage can have all the graphs and number crunching they want the lending industry says 'yeah, we'll let somebody ELSE bet their farm on the 'new' slick kid on the block we'll stick with this old stuff we know but it's mighty pretty..........

Mortgage lenders seem to be the last to move to new models. I've heard of some still using the FICO 98 models....

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.