Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Regular Contributor
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎11-06-2010
0

2 collection, same CA

[ Edited ]

Im in the process of repairing my husbands credit. He has 2 collection that I'll PFD, one for $170 and the other for $2216 (inc interest). Question is... Could I PFD one at a time or will they expect both to be resolved at the same time?  I would have more bargaining power with both but unfortunately not the $$$

thoughts please... The debt is with Apex Assets, Medical Debt. Planning on buying a house soon and we need these off. 


Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 8/28/15 EQ Fico 707, 8/28/15 TU Fico 737, 9/1/15 EX fico 729
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Cap one $4000 | Venture $8000 | Amex BCP $17,500 | Amex BSE $4000 | Discover it $10,800 | Lowe's $10000 DCU $2,000, CITI TYP $8,200. Macy's Amex store limit $1200, Macy's Amex $6000, DCU Visa $2000, CITI Simplicity $1800
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 26,021
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA

Under the FDCPA, they are not precluded from lumping different accounts for purposes of negotiation, but they are required to associate any payments to a specific account.

 

You may see benefit in negotiation as a package.  It is permissible on your part.  Any requests on their part to pay as a package is their perogative to make, and yours to decline.

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎11-06-2010
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA


RobertEG wrote:

Under the FDCPA, they are not precluded from lumping different accounts for purposes of negotiation, but they are required to associate any payments to a specific account.

 

You may see benefit in negotiation as a package.  It is permissible on your part.  Any requests on their part to pay as a package is their perogative to make, and yours to decline.

 


Thanks for the feedback. I'll persue a settlement on both accounts. It seems at this point to be the better of two evils for both parties.

 

i'll post the outcome.


Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 8/28/15 EQ Fico 707, 8/28/15 TU Fico 737, 9/1/15 EX fico 729
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Cap one $4000 | Venture $8000 | Amex BCP $17,500 | Amex BSE $4000 | Discover it $10,800 | Lowe's $10000 DCU $2,000, CITI TYP $8,200. Macy's Amex store limit $1200, Macy's Amex $6000, DCU Visa $2000, CITI Simplicity $1800
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Regular Contributor
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎11-06-2010
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA

[ Edited ]

Teasha wrote:

RobertEG wrote:

Under the FDCPA, they are not precluded from lumping different accounts for purposes of negotiation, but they are required to associate any payments to a specific account.

 

You may see benefit in negotiation as a package.  It is permissible on your part.  Any requests on their part to pay as a package is their perogative to make, and yours to decline.

 


Thanks for the feedback. I'll persue a settlement on both accounts. It seems at this point to be the better of two evils for both parties.

 

i'll post the outcome.


Ok... I contacted Apex Asset and was informed that because they were two different OC's the would be handled separately. I requested a settlement for the larger debt of the two and was advised they wouldn't have that information until next week.  I requested if the accounts were paid would they kindly remove them from the CRA's? Unfortunately I was met with a "No" and they would only show "Paid" 0 balance.  I tried to get a supervisor but she refused and re-iterated "We don't remove valid debts from the CRA's"

 

I did get an email address to send a request but she was making notation on the file as we spoke.  Frustrated I called the OC and paid the account less the $400 CA fee and was advised they will notify them that the account was paid and ask if they will remove it from the CRA's.  Unfortunately I may have ruined the chance of a removal. I don't think the CA will likely remove the accounts now that I cut them out of their commission and I don't know if the OC has the power to request a removal.  

 

I did read that I could resubmit a DV to the CRA's and if the OC shows a 0 balance and the CA shows a balance then technically it would be reporting incorrect information and would need to remove it from the CRA's. Long shot but if there is any validity in that please let me know.

 

If there is anyway possible to get these removed please Speak upI definitely need help.


Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 8/28/15 EQ Fico 707, 8/28/15 TU Fico 737, 9/1/15 EX fico 729
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Cap one $4000 | Venture $8000 | Amex BCP $17,500 | Amex BSE $4000 | Discover it $10,800 | Lowe's $10000 DCU $2,000, CITI TYP $8,200. Macy's Amex store limit $1200, Macy's Amex $6000, DCU Visa $2000, CITI Simplicity $1800
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Regular Contributor
Posts: 221
Registered: ‎06-12-2012
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA

The OC can request the CA to remove the negative trade line however the CA can keep reporting it. The CA must report the balance as zero and paid. Did the OC say that the balance was paid in full or settled for less than full amount?

This is just my opinion but I feel your best chance to getting this removed was with the CA. Once the CA reports zero you could always try to dispute the Trade Line and hope the CA wont take the time to verify the debt.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎11-06-2010
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA


Teasha wrote:

Teasha wrote:

RobertEG wrote:

Under the FDCPA, they are not precluded from lumping different accounts for purposes of negotiation, but they are required to associate any payments to a specific account.

 

You may see benefit in negotiation as a package.  It is permissible on your part.  Any requests on their part to pay as a package is their perogative to make, and yours to decline.

 


Thanks for the feedback. I'll persue a settlement on both accounts. It seems at this point to be the better of two evils for both parties.

 

i'll post the outcome.


Ok... I contacted Apex Asset and was informed that because they were two different OC's the would be handled separately. I requested a settlement for the larger debt of the two and was advised they wouldn't have that information until next week.  I requested if the accounts were paid would they kindly remove them from the CRA's? Unfortunately I was met with a "No" and they would only show "Paid" 0 balance.  I tried to get a supervisor but she refused and re-iterated "We don't remove valid debts from the CRA's"

 

I did get an email address to send a request but she was making notation on the file as we spoke.  Frustrated I called the OC and paid the account less the $400 CA fee and was advised they will notify them that the account was paid and ask if they will remove it from the CRA's.  Unfortunately I may have ruined the chance of a removal. I don't think the CA will likely remove the accounts now that I cut them out of their commission and I don't know if the OC has the power to request a removal.  

 

I did read that I could resubmit a DV to the CRA's and if the OC shows a 0 balance and the CA shows a balance then technically it would be reporting incorrect information and would need to remove it from the CRA's. Long shot but if there is any validity in that please let me know.

 

If there is anyway possible to get these removed please Speak upI definitely need help.


"Paid in Full" and will have the CA remove the collection fee. They are sending receipt of full payment out next week.


Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 8/28/15 EQ Fico 707, 8/28/15 TU Fico 737, 9/1/15 EX fico 729
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Cap one $4000 | Venture $8000 | Amex BCP $17,500 | Amex BSE $4000 | Discover it $10,800 | Lowe's $10000 DCU $2,000, CITI TYP $8,200. Macy's Amex store limit $1200, Macy's Amex $6000, DCU Visa $2000, CITI Simplicity $1800
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Highlighted
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 26,021
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA

As for the DV tactic, first, you dont send a DV to the CRAs.  You send to the debt collector.

 

Sending a DV after satisfaction of the debt will most likely by deposited in their grey circular file.

There is no requirement to respond to a DV, only that the debt collector cease collection until they do so.

Once the debt is paid, there is no longer any debt upon which to collect.  Ergo, its a moot point.

Even if they chose to validate, they could simply state the name of the creditor, and the current amount of the debt as $0.

 

 

Regular Contributor
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎11-06-2010
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA

Thank you for the information. 

 

When I called the OC and paid the original amount, I was told they will pull the account back from the CA and the CA fee will be removed. From the information I've received here, I'm under the impression that now that the OC has a satisfied debt the CA has no ground to continue to report and will therefore stop reporting. Ccorrect me if I'm misinformed the CA can still continue to report even if the debt has been settled with the OC even if its been "pulled back"' Correct??

 

I've been pretty successful with the DH's collections so far. 5 on TU down to 1, 3 EQ to 1 and 4 on EX to 2. So if it is correct that pulling back the collection will have the CA remove, I'd be extremely happy this far.


Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 8/28/15 EQ Fico 707, 8/28/15 TU Fico 737, 9/1/15 EX fico 729
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Cap one $4000 | Venture $8000 | Amex BCP $17,500 | Amex BSE $4000 | Discover it $10,800 | Lowe's $10000 DCU $2,000, CITI TYP $8,200. Macy's Amex store limit $1200, Macy's Amex $6000, DCU Visa $2000, CITI Simplicity $1800
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Regular Contributor
Posts: 136
Registered: ‎11-06-2010
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA


Teasha wrote:

Thank you for the information. 

 

When I called the OC and paid the original amount, I was told they will pull the account back from the CA and the CA fee will be removed. From the information I've received here, I'm under the impression that now that the OC has a satisfied debt the CA has no ground to continue to report and will therefore stop reporting. Ccorrect me if I'm misinformed the CA can still continue to report even if the debt has been settled with the OC even if its been "pulled back"' Correct??

 

I've been pretty successful with the DH's collections so far. 5 on TU down to 1, 3 EQ to 1 and 4 on EX to 2. So if it is correct that pulling back the collection will have the CA remove, I'd be extremely happy this far.


If anyone has any info to confirm this that would be great


Starting Score: 0 No score until August 2011
Current Score: 8/28/15 EQ Fico 707, 8/28/15 TU Fico 737, 9/1/15 EX fico 729
Goal Score: 800
My wallet: Cap one $4000 | Venture $8000 | Amex BCP $17,500 | Amex BSE $4000 | Discover it $10,800 | Lowe's $10000 DCU $2,000, CITI TYP $8,200. Macy's Amex store limit $1200, Macy's Amex $6000, DCU Visa $2000, CITI Simplicity $1800
Back in the garden!
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Community Leader
Epic Contributor
Posts: 26,021
Registered: ‎03-19-2007
0

Re: 2 collection, same CA

An OC cannot "pull back" credit reporting done by another party, even if that party is their assigned debt collector.  They must notify the debt collector that the debt has been satisfied, which automatically terminates their collection authority.

 

When the debt is paid, regardless of whether paid through the debt collector or directly to the creditor, the debt collector is then required to make further reporting that the debt is now $0, and the collection is closed.

 

From that point on, their collection is closed, so there is no more reporting to be done.  That is not the same as requiring them to delete prior, accurate reporting.

In fact, the credit reporting manual and agreements with the CRAs specifically instruct that prior reporting is not to be deleted based on payment of the debt.

 

Simply stated, payment of the debt is not basis for deletion or termination of reporting.  It is basis for further reporting.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.