Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 points needed!!

tag
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

2 points needed!!

So I did a pfd for a collection that updates monthly and gained me 11 points. Then I paid utilization down to 1% and that got me 13 points. Now I'm sitting at 638!! I'm so frustrated! This last 2 points are hard to get. Can you see anything that might help me?

1 collection from portfolio that is listed in the accounts section. Falls off in 10 months, but updates monthly. They've refused to pfd. Lender said not to pay it right now.
$42 collection from unique national for library dues. Hasn't updated in awhile, won't pfd, so lender says not to pay right now.
1 credit card. $200 limit, $2 balance.
120+lates on student loans. They won't goodwill them, and ombudsman didn't help any. Said they were accurate...which they are.

Any advice for how to get a few points?

I'm thinking since I won't hit 640 in time, I will pay the portfolio and allow a few months of not being reported as currently 120 plus days late. I know paying wont help the score, but I thought since they are updating every month it might help some.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 2 points needed!!

Since it is in the accounts section, it could give you an increase if paid.  I have seen that happen several times although a paid collection is not supposed to help.

Either way, since they update monthly your score shouldn't go down. 

Message 2 of 7
jzsnow
Frequent Contributor

Do you know if portfolio will take a settlement of just 20-30%? It falls off in April, so it is pretty old.
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I have no idea.  You could search the forums or just send them a settlement offer.

Message 4 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I would offer them 30%, see if they counter. Have the cash in your a acct.
You can then goodwill it.......they just deleted from dh and he got no points.
Ymmv
Message 5 of 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I settled w them for myself on a recent for 60%. Do not forget u may
Rec a 1099
Message 6 of 7
WillF360
Regular Contributor

I'd say pending when you need the points, you should be there within the next month just by making payments on your credit card. Make a purchase, pay it off, keep it below the 9% util. Of course, that's just my experience. 1-2 months of on time payments have gotten me 5-6 points a month on all 3.

In the Garden since 9/15/13... Goal Date 4/15/14 (WISH ME LUCK)
Closed on First Home 9/13/2013: USDA RURAL HOUSING
Lender Pull 7/25- EQ 673, EX 693, TU 670
Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Goal Score: 720 | Starting Scores (2/12): EQ 493, EX 521, TU 463
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.