Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 steps forward, 1 step back- bummed out

tag
nbean
Regular Contributor

2 steps forward, 1 step back- bummed out

Ok so hubby and I got our scores up to a respectable number about a year ago and got a handful of great credit cards we'd been wanting for a while. Then last summer we used those cards for some major upgrades to our house. The utility got up to about 68% and our scores suffered for it. None the less we found a way to pay them all down to a collective 32% two weeks ago. Most cards sit at 29% now. I was so happy and looking forward to a nice bounce back. Cut to today when I found out 2 of our Visa signature Chase United and Hyatt cards got their CLs decreased to $2,800/each. Aside from feeling dejeted, the utility on those cards which I'd just gotten to 29% is now back to 87.5%. 

We didn't even have time to bounce back before Chase re-evaluated our accounts and reduced the credit lines. So sad right now. 

First Ent Visa $21,800, Nasa PLOC $10K, Nasa CC $10K, Citi DoubleCash $12,200K, Penfed Promise $6K, Penfed Cash Rewards $5K, Total Rewards Visa $20K Lowes $35K QuickSilver CapOne WM $20K United Chase VS $2,800 Hyatt Chase VS $2,800 TJMaxx Mastercard $8K Barclays Rewards $3,700, Pier One $8,500 Walmart MC $8K Kohls $3K, Overstock $8,900, Discover $8K, Home Depot $20,700, JCP $10K, Victoria's Secret $5K, Ballard $10K, WilliamsSonoma Visa $11K, Grandin $4K, Banana Republic Visa $6K, Avianca Vida $25K, BoA $15K,BoA 3-2-1 $7,500
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2 steps forward, 1 step back- bummed out

@nbean wrote:

Ok so hubby and I got our scores up to a respectable number about a year ago and got a handful of great credit cards we'd been wanting for a while. Then last summer we used those cards for some major upgrades to our house. The utility got up to about 68% and our scores suffered for it. None the less we found a way to pay them all down to a collective 32% two weeks ago. Most cards sit at 29% now. I was so happy and looking forward to a nice bounce back. Cut to today when I found out 2 of our Visa signature Chase United and Hyatt cards got their CLs decreased to $2,800/each. Aside from feeling dejeted, the utility on those cards which I'd just gotten to 29% is now back to 87.5%. 

We didn't even have time to bounce back before Chase re-evaluated our accounts and reduced the credit lines. So sad right now. 

They are balance chasing you, every time you make a payment they will reduce the CL until they feel you are not going to default. I would be  on the phone to the backdoor underwriters trying to get the limits restored. This is why I only have 1 card from what is referred to on this board as a prime bank, I wont cotton to such tactics from my creditors.

Message 2 of 4
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

That is ashame. Anyway to balance transfer those to a other bank card? Good Luck

Message 3 of 4
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.