Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 years after bankruptcy...credit still sucks

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 years after bankruptcy...credit still sucks

I filed for bankruptcy in 2011 and I purchased a car a few months after I have made all payments except for 1 on time, I lost my job last year so my credit card and my car note got behind by a month...Well I went to look into trading my car due to my interest rate being 21.9% and it being an older car well when I got the car my beacon score was 432 and when they ran it almost 2 years later it was 422...My bankruptcy items show "Included in Bankruptcy" on my credit report and I noticed a few collection items on that from the same places that were on my bankruptcy I am not sure whether they went right back in and added it back or not...I hired Lexington Law last week and since then I have noticed them disputing 6 things on each report (I recently signed back up for Equifax 3-1 bureau check) so when when I woke up this morning I got a lot of emails from Lexington and a lot from Equifax...My 3 reports stand at 412, 414, and 400 what else can I do to get my score to increase? I have looked into getting a tradeline from BoostMyScore.net and paying down my card to about 11% utilization which Equifax's estimator said those two things alone could get me up 100 points each, and if Lexington Law actually works I imagine my score would increase from items being deleted since I gained 2 points from them being disputed so my question is besides paying my credit card down, piggybacking off of someone else's credit, and using Lexington Law what else could be done to increase my scores to at least 620-650?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: 2 years after bankruptcy...credit still sucks

Typing from phone, so it's going to be short. Can you create a detailed list of what's showing/amounts due? Problem with using repair company is that your score will go up/down more than a rollercoaster, until their collateral damage settles. I'll get back to you in morning. On way to work. Got ch 7 bk from 2000, so I'll share firsthand experiences.I
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appreciate the reponse so much here is what I gathered...

Please don't judge me on the Capital One issue I lost my job last year and I am trying my hardest to get back on my score up I have made an arrangement for 3/4/13 and will have it paid off they also agreed to remove the 120 Late...The Charge Off I am unaware what that is because I only have one Capital One Card which is secured I never owned anything else from Capital One because I was never approved for anything else, I also checked every last collection item with my bankruptcy they were all on my bankruptcy but somehow they are all added back like new accounts.

30Type: 30 DAY LATE
Date: 06/11DETAILS

LAType: 120+ DAY LATE
Date: 05/11DETAILS

IBType: INCLUDED IN BANKRUPTCY
Date: 09/08DETAILS

CHType: CHARGE OFF
Date: 07/11DETAILS

Date: 11/07DETAILS

Date: 02/09DETAILS

Date: 02/09DETAILS

Date: 04/07DETAILS

COType: COLLECTION
Date: 08/12DETAILS

Date: 07/12DETAILS

Date: 06/12DETAILS

Date: 09/12DETAILS

Date: 08/12DETAILS

Date: 06/11DETAILS

Date: 03/12DETAILS

Date: 03/12DETAILS

Date: 12/11DETAILS

Date: 06/09DETAILS

Date: 04/09DETAILS

Date: 06/07DETAILS

BKType: BANKRUPTCY
Date: 03/11DETAILS
Message 3 of 10
starry1
Valued Contributor

Are all of those collections from 2012, or should some of them be included in bankruptcy?

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I looked at what was included in bankruptcy those collection items and account #s were on the list

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked into them as well they are all medical bills that were included in my bankruptcy

Message 6 of 10
starry1
Valued Contributor

Then you need to dispute with the CRAs that they should all be included in bankruptcy.  That will give you some points.

Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 7 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Do you have your discharge papers? Some debt collectors slip through the cracks, and will continue to pester you. Verify that they/the debt collected upon was indeed included in your bk, then contact them stating their debt is non collectable, as it is included in your filing (main reason you need to be sure it is included). If the CA's continue to harass you after your advisory, then you'll need to contact the lawyer that filed for you, or the clerk if the courthouse that you filed at, specifically bk court.
Message 8 of 10
starry1
Valued Contributor

And please consider not spending money on Lexington or boostmyscore.  They won't do anything for you that you can't do for yourself.  Read these forums A LOT and learn how to do it.  All it will cost you is some time and postage.

Message 9 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

starry1 is correct about Lexington.

Since you've retained them to clean your reports, you've basically handed them a winning ticket. It's your lawyer's job, and the court order that will start you anew, not Lexington. Deletion/elimination is only as fast as court communication. It doesn't just magically dissapear the minute papers are in hand.

They're probably going to do basic disputes, and follow up on the path that I've described to you already.

You retained a lawyer, so use that. Anything that Lex can do, you can learn here, and do it more streamlined, efficient, and much much much cheaper, and with a greatly reduced amount of collateral damage. Poke around this site about horror stories regarding their actions/methods/results.

It's also common knowledge that some cleaning companies don't always do the ethical methods in order to accomplish the goal, so they kinda keep themselves employed, just by their own second hand damage created from "disputing everything under your name."

Pull your current reports, if you can, or get your most recent copies, then get your lawyer's time. Take it from there first.

Now, as far as piggybacking......

Honestly, you're going to read about it being the greatest thing since sliced bread (by some), and completely wrong in the eyes of others.

I, myself believe it's a good thing for a child starting out in life with a head start, a divorced/single parent needing help, but to just cheat the system for points....Nah!!

If you take the time to read about card approvals here, most AU accounts are scored credibly, if it's a family member, but notice how some/majority of the card issuers now do internal scoring....circumventing the shortcut (I'll wait for others to argue my conspiracy theory on this).

Get your reports clean. Get a secured card, maybe two if you can swing it. Give those cards a year, and watch things take off. As your BK ages, things improve. I was in primeville within a (Jesus, I'm getting old...trying to remember) handful of years 4-5, I think, with my highest then at $4,500, but lending was a little looser then.

It's not just the score that counts.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.