Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 RULING on FTC -vs- Jefferson Capital/compucredit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2008 RULING on FTC -vs- Jefferson Capital/compucredit

OK. so I have read some things about this and an trying to figure out if that ruling can be used to delete a TL that has been reporting as 120 days late forever from an ASPEN card that I had back in ?2006 or 2007. I am waiting for the response to the complaint i filed with the BBB. JC has until 06/05/12 to respond. So, what happens if they do not respond to the complaint filed through the BBB? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? I was out of the area when all this stuff was going on in the courts and don't know if it is too late to use that ruling to my advantage. I am hoping I can have them delete for a bit of a score boost since they are in the accounts showing lates and balance on my CRs.  Thoughts??

Message 1 of 81
80 REPLIES 80
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

Re: 2008 RULING on FTC -vs- Jefferson Capital/compucredit

Start by disputing the TL with CRA's. It won't be able to be verified by the CRA and it will simply fall off on it's own.

You can do it either online or by snail mail.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 2 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

why would it not be able to be verified? would that be due to the court ruling?

Message 3 of 81
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

why would it not be able to be verified? would that be due to the court ruling?

Correct. The ruling stipulated that they were not to do any further credit reporting and delete the TL's of the affected consumers.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 81
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Hi

I very recently had my visa aspire and imagine tradelines deleted from all 3 CRA's  Every time I disputed with the CRA's, they always came back verified. It wasn't until I sent a complaint to the FTC and wrote a letter to Jefferson Capital demanding that they remove the account with threat of filing a complaint with the BBB that they immediately, withing days sent a letter stating that they would immediately delete my tradelines from the CRA's, It was less than a week, and they were gone I think that the CRA's will continue to verifiy everything until the cows come home, Robert said that disputing with the CA was best, and I am a believer.   Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 5 of 81
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am not sure I understand the basis for the complaint.

Credtiors regularly report/update monthly, and often report the entire history each month, even if no real changes.   The reporting is usually nothing more than their statement that the account continues at the previously reported level of delinquency.  That is particularly true of current status.

Did the cited ruling apply to all reporting, for all time, a window of time, certain consumers?

Message 6 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

that is where I am at too Robert.  I am not sure what the exact impact of the ruling would be on my TLs.  I was in possession of the ASPEN card back prior to the suit and ruling and if I fall under that ruling, I would definitely want to have the TL removed from all CRs. I guess I will find out eventually, hopefully soon

Message 7 of 81
pmatt1
Valued Member

I  had an Aspire visa card that fell under the ruling. It was removed by Jefferson Capital, but was purchased by Midland Credit in 2009. According to what I read in the ruling this account  was not to have been reported by the OC as well as any 3rd parties. I am fighting to get this removed now and have filed a complaint with the BBB. Still waiting on the results. Disputing with the CRA did not help. They all responded that the account belonged to me.

Starting Score: 518
Current Score: EQ 612(Lender Pull) TU585EX 584 null)
Goal Score: 720

Message 8 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pmatt1  I did the same with the BBB and also filed a complaint with the FTC seeing as they started the suit, I figured they would be more aware of the situation, etc. When did you file with the BBB?

Message 9 of 81
pmatt1
Valued Member

I filed on last Monday. Have you heard anything yet?

Starting Score: 518
Current Score: EQ 612(Lender Pull) TU585EX 584 null)
Goal Score: 720

Message 10 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.