Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2008 RULING on FTC -vs- Jefferson Capital/compucredit

tag
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Re: 2008 RULING on FTC -vs- Jefferson Capital/compucredit

Hi

Below is the letter that I sent to Jefferson Capital, I had already sent a complaint to the FTC and FDIC. I sent it certified mail with return receipt. They received it and I had my letter within 6 days, saying that they were deleting, I have checked my credit reports, and both accounts have vanished. Best wishes to you. Just fill in you personal information and mail certified mail with return recept. Best wishes to you, let me know how things work out. Make sure that your card was issued between 2008 and 2010 as per FTC ruling. The ruling is on the web as FTC versus Compu credit and Jefferson Capital.

To whom it may concern:

In reviewing the information that you have forwarded to the credit bureaus, I have noted that you are reporting tradelines as follows:

(insert your card name account number and CRA's here)

Reporting of these tradelines and 3rd party collections of these accounts is prohibited by the Federal Trade Commission ruling Case # 1:08-cv-1976-BBM-RGV, 12/19/2008. Please remove all tradelines from any and all credit reporting agencies (Experian, Equifax, Transunion etc) as mandated by this ruling.

I have already filed a complaint with the FTC, and the FDIC, and will also file a complaint with the BBB if reporting tradelines are not deleted in a timely manner (10 business days)

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 41 of 81
Jon85
Frequent Contributor

I was just about to write a PFD letter to Jefferson Capital when I stumbled upon this thread.

I have a Tribue card in collections with them (still has a balance, I didn't pay), and on my CR it says it was placed for collection in 9/23/2010.

Am I eligible to write a similar letter with the FTC ruling as a backup? Do I have to pay the balance first and THEN they would delete it? How does that work?

Message 42 of 81
mmmlive1999
Frequent Contributor

@Jon85 wrote:

I was just about to write a PFD letter to Jefferson Capital when I stumbled upon this thread.

I have a Tribue card in collections with them (still has a balance, I didn't pay), and on my CR it says it was placed for collection in 9/23/2010.

Am I eligible to write a similar letter with the FTC ruling as a backup? Do I have to pay the balance first and THEN they would delete it? How does that work?

Thanks!!! I am sending this out on Monday. .........Fingers crossedSmiley Wink

Starting Score: 6/6/12: TU 585/EQ 472/ EX 561
Current Score: All 800's
Cap1 QS - $17k, Chase Southwest- $25k, Discover IT - $50k
Message 43 of 81
faircredguy
Established Member

CompuCred, subsidiaries and affiliates affected by the order include COLUMBUS BANK & TRUST, FIRST BANK OF DELAWARE, AND FIRST BANK & TRUST.  They marketed credit cards under the following brand names ASPIRE, ASPIRE A MAS, FREEDOMCARD, TRIBUTE, IMAGINE, MAJESTIC, ASPEN, EMERGE and FINGERHUT CREDIT ADVANTAGE with undisclosed fees and policies that allowed them to harvest fees (stealing money from the poor)...

Per my understanding of the ruling based on reading the actual orders.  CompuCred was ordered to cease and desist their deceptive marketing practices, fully disclose any and all hidden fees and policies, reversal of all fees that were charged to consumers with these brand name cards that were directly affected.  Collection practices are to cease and desist for consumers who held affected accounts that were charged off. Most importantly, CompuCred, subsidiaries & affiliates were ordered to remove any TLs reported to CRAs that were affected by the order.

With this being said, I am prone to mention that if you have had one of the above mentioned cc's or loans from any of the above mentioned banks, that have mysteriously disappeared in or around 2009, your account was considered affected by this ruling.  Any reporting by any 3rd party or CA on these removed TLs is against the stipulations established in the order.  This is specified under the SubPartII.F of the order.  In the ruling order against JeffCap there is a section that specifies JeffCap, successors and assigns may not report TLs related to the accounts affected by the CompuCred ruling.

Message 44 of 81
tdrjustus3
Regular Contributor

Can someone please answer the question whether this needs to be paid first? My husband has a judgement against him filed by Midland Funding and I need to know if we can get this removed from his CR and how to do it?

No apps until 8/2014
March 2013 Starting FICO Score: EQ: 584 TU: 564 EX: ??
August 2013 Current FICO Scores: EQ:664 EX:684 Walmart TU: 666
Message 45 of 81
MaRain
Regular Contributor

Thanks FairCredGuy for bumping this thread and clarifying. I happened across the lawsuit through another thread and couldn't believe it! Midland Funding is currently listed as a TL on my CR with the gall to charge me monthly interest and my account llisted as 120 days late as of 4/2013 when my account hasn't been paid to Tribute since mid 2006 and was sold to Midland in 2009 (I've never made an agreement, spoke with, or paid Midland)!!!

I have already filed a complaint with the FTC against Midland on 4/29/13 and am awaiting the results. Wish I had taken more of an interest in my credit before (I think that I did receive notice of a lawsuit but tossed it since I get those notices for just about every service/credit card I've ever had, lol. i.e. Sears, Verizon, Microsoft, etc...)!

Back in the garden until 10/2015.

Starting Score: EQ 714, EX 658, TU 691 (pulled by mortgage lender on 10/7/14)
Current Score: EQ 656, EX 660, TU 660 (FAKOS pulled on 3/26/15)
Goal Score: EQ 760, EX 700, TU 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 46 of 81
faircredguy
Established Member

@tdrjustus3 wrote:
Can someone please answer the question whether this needs to be paid first? My husband has a judgement against him filed by Midland Funding and I need to know if we can get this removed from his CR and how to do it?

The accounts affected by the order were mainly 3 types of accounts and millions of people were affected:

1. "Little Rock" credit accounts appear to be "secure" credit accounts, where you are charged an initial fee for $300 dollar limit that will help you build credit with positive reporting to CRAs.  

2. "Core" credit accounts appear to be regular credit cards with promised high limits (up to $3,200), but where half the initial approved amount is held for 90 days, purchases are monitored, and possibly adversely affecting the release of the rest of your approved credit, thus lowering your actual approved credit line.  

3. The last type of account was a "debt-transfer" type credit that was the worst of all 3, this account actually was extended to prior CompuCred consumers with promises that payments would help relieve their debt and improve credit scores.  In actuality these cards allowed CompuCred to reopen closed accounts, restart reporting clocks, and re-age charge offs.  All of these types of accounts were riddled with hidden fees and policies that were not disclosed to consumers.

These were all taking place apparently since before 2005 up to when the initial complaints were filed in 2008.  If your husbands account falls within one of these groups, then I believe you can dispute.  I would make sure you have proof that it indeed is covered under the order though.

Message 47 of 81
tdrjustus3
Regular Contributor

Should I pay it first then dispute or can I just dispute it to have it removed and pay it after?

No apps until 8/2014
March 2013 Starting FICO Score: EQ: 584 TU: 564 EX: ??
August 2013 Current FICO Scores: EQ:664 EX:684 Walmart TU: 666
Message 48 of 81
faircredguy
Established Member

@tdrjustus3 wrote:
Should I pay it first then dispute or can I just dispute it to have it removed and pay it after?

You need to search other threads about vacating judgements.  If the judgement is showing on his CR against him already it looks hard to have it removed.

Message 49 of 81
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

woot woot!!!  I just checked my complaint and JEFFERSON CAP responded to the BBB.  although, according to JCS, my account was not included in the suit(?) they are closing accoutn, ceasing all collection efforts, and having it deleted from all three CRAs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AWWWWW YEAAAA!!! I am so glad I heard something this positive!!!  I don't know if it will cause a score jump, but betwwen that and MIDLAND falling off early last week from EQ,  i may seem something, no??

Was your acct bought by Midland also?  My OC havent been reporting for some time now. It's Midland that I have an problem with and their reporting. I sent  them a letter with the Court ruling hoping to get somewhere.

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 50 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.