Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 CO/write off just appeared.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

2013 CO/write off just appeared.

I FINALLY cleaned my credit report of all collections, paid 5000 of a 10,000 balance in PaY for removal settlements. Went from 400 credit scores to mid 600's in 3 months due to just having 8 lates i know it will be a year or two to get to the 700's. But today i had a 76 point drop for a collection never seen before reporting as write off/loss since 2013 it is mine but when I was paying off all my collections it wasn't there. Applied bank which no longer exists....how do handle that?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: 2013 CO/write off just appeared.

If it's a collection agency, try for a PFD. If they bought the account then I don't think it matters that the OC is out of business.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

What is your state of residence?

Message 3 of 6
MrTom
Frequent Contributor

If its a CA and not a debt buyer and the debt was never sold, I would assume the collection shouldnt be reporting and be considered a recall by the OC

Starting Score: May 23, 2016 EQ 537 TU 518 EX 548
Recent Scores: EQ 839 TU 824 EX 821
Goal Score: 840
Current Vantage 3.0: 808
Mortgage Scores August 18 2017: EQ5 684 TU4 692 EX2 690
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The fact that the original creditor is no longer in business means someone else now owns the debt.

That party could be either a creditor, if they acquired the debt while in good standing, or a debt collector if acquired as a delinquent debt.

The reporting debt collector could either be a purchasing debt collector who now owns the debt, or they could be an assignee only.

It really does not matter as to whether they can report their collection if they currently have collection authority.

At this point, it is reported collection for which there is no specific basis for contesting the appropriateness of its reporting.

They should have sent dunning notice within 5 days after reporting of the collection, within which they should have identified the current owner.

That may, when received, provide notice of current ownership, and thus the type of collection authority (owned vs assigned)

You can either send a DV request if you seek validation prior to considering payment, or contact them and begin payment negotiations, such as a settlement offer or a PFD offer.   I inquired as to your state of residence, as some states have their own enhanced DV procedures that may provide additonal requirments above that of a DV request under the general FDCPA.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in Arizona

I am upset because when i went through to clean all of my negative collections it was NOWHERE, and now that I have settled all my accounts and i look good on paper it reappears on my credit report on Transunion and Experian killing me by over 70 points. It litterally was deleted from my account for 4 years due to them closing, and it is STILL owned by applied bank, but marked as a LOSS. original debt was about 500, and now its up to 1330.00. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.