cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 in Review & 2015 Plan - You can do it too!

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

2014 in Review & 2015 Plan - You can do it too!

I am posting this to share with you results of my 2014 journey.  I had lots to repair and with hard work and patience I got a lot accomplished.  I now have the scores and all the credit I will ever need.  I used what I learned here and other boards to get this done by myself.  Remember, it's never too late to work on your finances!

My story in a nutshell:

In January of this year I started my credit repair/rebuilding journey and have had great progress.  The year started with credit scores in the low 600 range to today where I have solid 700's across the board.  My files were loaded with derogs ranging from liens, judgments, and med collections that really had been ignored by me for a few years.  A promotion at work prompted me to do a reality check that started me on my journey.  What a mess I was and I feared my company would be doing a background check on this role I was about to be offered. (BTW - they didn't and I did get the role, but thank God it made me get real about taking care of my personal finances!  Even if I am 50 yrs old!)

In the last 12 months all of the derogs have either rolled off my files or have been resolved in some other other fashion.  I think patience was the key and patience is really needed when dealing with Med Collections and judgements. Used a lot of DV letters, obsolete accounts letters etc to get this completed!   I monitor my reports ona daily basis in order to make sure nothing shows back up. 

For 2015 I have the basic goal of getting my scores into High 700s or even to 800 and if I take care of business, I think I have  a legit shot!  For credit card action see below where I started from and what I plan to do in 2015 with credit.  Feedback most welcome.

My Credit Cards Pre-2014 (I lived a cash life)

• CapOne       $500  
  • Cortrust        $250 
  • CreditOne    $750
  • Merrick         $1,000
  • Orchard #1   $300
  • Orchard #2   $300
  • JC Penney   $600
  • Wells Fargo $1,000
  • Total             $4,700

Today

• Diner's Club Premier         $20,000 (Not Reporting)
  • Diner's Club Elite               $20,000 (Not Reporting)
  • AMEX Skymiles                 $15,000
  • Barclay USAirway              $7,500
  • Barclays Rewards MC       $6,500
  • CapOne 5178                    $2,250
  • CapOne QS 5178              $1,000
  • Chase Amazon                  $6,000
  • Chase Freedom                 $6,000
  • Citi AAAdvantage               $7,000
  • Discover It                          $1,200
  • HomeDepot Consumer      $9,000
  • JC Penney                         $4,000
  • NFCU Cash Rewards        $18,000
  • NFCU Flagship                  $15,000
  • PayPal Extras                    $1,500
  • United M Plus Explorer      $5,000
  • USAA Visa                         $2,000
  • WalMart MC                      $3,000
  • Wells Fargo Visa               $2,200
  •  Total                                 $152,150
  • (I came a long way and added 148K in TL and doesn't inlcude $15K CLOC af NFCU)

2015 Action Plan for Credit Cards

Close both CapOne Cards if I can’t consolidate CL to QS.  These guys don’t like me and I really don’t like them.

Close Barclay’s US Air Card and move CL to Rewards MC unless someone sees a better plan or knows a reason to keep it open.  Already have the bonus miles added to my Dividend account.

Amex Skymiles – 3X CLI in Feb

Close Discover It – not sure I will get love from them having had a low SL.

Open CSP and hopefully get an offer from Chase first – will be late in 2015 as I had 3 Chase cards in 2014.  If I am approved I will likely close my Freedom and move my CL over to the CSP.  Gosh and I am getting the AARP Chase offer all the time and maybe want that too!

• I have 2 AMEX cards that are backdated to 1983 helping my overall AAoA (5 Years) at this time.  I want to add 2 more in the near future.  My target card is the SPG and I get monthly offers from them as I stay in their properties on a monthly basis.  Not sure what other AMEX I might try for to round out the MSD play.

• Try to convert my Chase United MPlus Explorer to the Club version.  I know it’s a higher AF but I really need the club access.  I fly 99% on United as that’s where my status is these days.  Not sure if it’s a simple call to Chase or what, but I will try.

Close JC Penney – I have SD’d this card since it carries a 26.99% APR – really?  It is one or my older lines that has open date of 2008.  Closing it won’t harm my AAoA and will keep the DW from potentially using it on a whim.

PayPal Extras MC – close this one.  I really messed up here as it was a pop-up offer on my account dashboard.  Wish I hadn’t applied and I really don’t like Synchrony.

• Keep after CLIs with NFCU.

• Enjoy the heck out of my hidden TL with Diner’s Club.

• After all of this completed I think it will have been a great 2015 on the revolving credit front! 

Thanks to those who have helped, encouraged, and challenged me to change my ways and embrace a new credit life!  BNT

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.