Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

22-YEAR-OLD Starting/Rebuilding my credit

tag
ArttheStudent

22-YEAR-OLD Starting/Rebuilding my credit

Hi all!

I posted this on another forum, but I think this post is better suited for my topic.

I am new here so here is my life so far dealing with credit. I am a full-time student and I have taken student loans out to pay for school. In the meantime, A couple of years ago, I applied and was approved for a Capital One Secured Card and used it for about ten months. At this time I did not know too much of anything about how credit works, except paying your bill on time. After ten months of using this card, I went over my limit and missed a payment once. I contacted CapOne about it and they told me that I max this CC out and could apply for another. I paid off the card right then and currently have a balance of "$0" on my credit reports. My credit history is a little under 3 years.

Now that I mentioned my credit reports. The first time I checked my credit score or any credit reports was 4 years ago( Freshman in college). I don't remember the exact number but it was well in the early 500s.  I have seen that I have 2 accounts in collections. These aren't mine and I haven't done anything about them until now. Now I have a credit score of 626.  I have teamed with Lexington Law to correct these errors. Also, over the years I have been applying for a lot of credit cards, possibly 5 so far. My last inquiry was January 2013. I was denied for most of them and currently don't own any CCs now.

In learning about how my actions could affect my credit, I have decided to take my credit more seriously. I'm turning 22 very soon and I have some more school left, I want to build my credit, show positivity in my reports, and start applying for car loans, etc. 

My goals for right now for a year (starting on my birthday - or sooner) are to elevate my credit score, correct my profiles, apply for another secured credit card, and go from there. I'm glad to start my journey and would like to document it here.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!!! I love feedback and if anyone has some great advice, I'm all ears!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: 22-YEAR-OLD Starting/Rebuilding my credit

Lexington may not be able to do much for you.  All they really can do is dispute and you don't want that.

Send the CAs a DV letter asking for validation of the debt.

You do need some type of revolving credit.  Try your bank or CU and see if they can offer you anthing, even a secured card.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.