Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

26pt jump for new card?

tag
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

26pt jump for new card?

Can someone tell me if this is to be expected? Got a new Barclay's card yday. 1000 limit. They are already reporting to EX (awesome) but what is more interesting to me is that my EX fako went up 26pts as a result of it. Should I expect the same for the other bureaus? What about when my secured card starts reporting?

Maybe this is normal, its the first card to report since I've actually been watching my scores.

Thanks for any clarification you may have!

Starting Score (Oct '13): 473 (EX), Current Score: MyFICO EX: 713 EQ: 715 TU: 717, Goal Score: 740 & above. Capital One Quicksilver: $2250, Discover IT: $9500, Chase Amazon Store Card: $2600, Care Credit: $15000, Barclays Rewards: $1850 BCE: 20,000, PenFed Visa Sig: 7,000 NFCU cashRewards $24,600
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: 26pt jump for new card?

when you have baddies and not much revolving credit you can actualy see score increases with new added positive accounts... everyone always thinks all new accounts are going to hurt you but it wasn't until I added over 10 new accounts that I even saw any score dips... before that they just kept increasing each month!

Message 2 of 8
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

when you have baddies and not much revolving credit you can actualy see score increases with new added positive accounts... everyone always thinks all new accounts are going to hurt you but it wasn't until I added over 10 new accounts that I even saw any score dips... before that they just kept increasing each month!

Thanks for explaining that! I would've never known, i'm one of those ppl that thought it would hurt some. It was a nice surprise for me! 

Starting Score (Oct '13): 473 (EX), Current Score: MyFICO EX: 713 EQ: 715 TU: 717, Goal Score: 740 & above. Capital One Quicksilver: $2250, Discover IT: $9500, Chase Amazon Store Card: $2600, Care Credit: $15000, Barclays Rewards: $1850 BCE: 20,000, PenFed Visa Sig: 7,000 NFCU cashRewards $24,600
Message 3 of 8
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

@Onthe27thday wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Thanks for explaining that! I would've never known, i'm one of those ppl that thought it would hurt some. It was a nice surprise for me! 

Assuming all else the same (CC balances), your utilization automatically decreases (unless all balances are at $0).  Utilization improvements in many cases is the quickest and most dramatic way to see your score increase.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 4 of 8
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

@tomfromrictmame wrote:

@Onthe27thday wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Assuming all else the same (CC balances), your utilization automatically decreases (unless all balances are at $0).  Utilization improvements in many cases is the quickest and most dramatic way to see your score increase.

I considered that but my utilization, though not 0 is about 9% before this card so I wasn't sure if I would really feel a boost but whatever the cause, I will take it!!

Message 5 of 8
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@Onthe27thday wrote:

@tomfromrictmame wrote:

@Onthe27thday wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

I considered that but my utilization, though not 0 is about 9% before this card so I wasn't sure if I would really feel a boost but whatever the cause, I will take it!!

If all other cards are reporting 0, there is some wiggle room in what exact number between 1-9% is best for customers, and it changes by person and credit profile. Havng said that, I have no idea what causes Experian FAKOs to change.

Message 6 of 8
ChargeItPlease
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the approval and score bump.

The first two cards I added increased my score. The third one dinged me. It depends on your profile.

Starting Score: 400s (2011) Current: EQ 655 (01-2014) Goal: 700 Last app: 01-01-14. No apps 'til 12-2014!
Message 7 of 8
Onthe27thday
Regular Contributor

@ChargeItPlease wrote:
Congrats on the approval and score bump.

The first two cards I added increased my score. The third one dinged me. It depends on your profile.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll garden my cards no so hopefully no dings.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.