Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$290 written off - $1059 trying to be collected

tag
Shokk
Established Contributor

Re: $290 written off - $1059 trying to be collected

@NibblesTreats wrote:

That's the problem though.  Although I don't have any records of this account (not sure where all my paperwork went when I moved), I am almost 100% positive, I don't owe the higher amount - ugh, but I can't prove it. 

This was a HSBC account - which has now been acquired by Capital One.  Cap. 1 just placed this account on my credit report yesterday.  Now I have HSBC showing on my report, Cap. 1 and the collection agency - all for the same account.  I know this is off the original question, but if Cap. 1 has taken over for HSBC, will they remove the HSBC information given that it is now technically on there twice?  Did that make sense? 

This rebuilding of credit is crazy!  Just when you're going in the right direction, something comes along and slams you.  Grrr.  Thank you all for your help!  I'm sure I'll get there.

I'm confused.  Are there 3 trade lines?  One for HSBC, one for Cap 1 and one for the CA?  Or two tradelines, HSBC/Cap1 and the CA?  Both the OC and CA can report, but there should be only 1 OC reporting.

Always DV even if its outside 30 days.  Check your state laws regarding debt collectors.  Some states, like Texas, have stronger laws that may work to your benefit.  In your DV, ask for the original amount, current amount, and an itemization of charges.  Call Cap 1 and ask questions.  Find out what the balance was when it defaulted.  Ask if they charged off the entire amount, etc.  HSBC may have sold all relevant information when they sold the debt, but they should be able to tell you what the balance was at charge off, and whether or not thay charged off the entire amount.

I don't know my start scores, but low 500s. 6/2013

2/19/15
EQ FAKO - 638
EX FICO - 665
TU FICO - 697
Message 11 of 12
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Re: $290 written off - $1059 trying to be collected

Yes, there are now 3 trade lines!  I would assume the HSBC would have to come off given that Cap. 1 now owns it.

In a DV letter, I should be as short and to the point as possible correct?  That's what I have read but I want to make sure I do it correctly.  I had called HSBC but it goes straight to Cap. 1.  At the time Cap. 1 said they couldn't find my account - but apparently they found it given that it just showed up on my Equifax report.  They should be able to tell me that information now I would assume. 

Thanks for the advice of what to put in the DV.  I'll draft one today and get it out the door. Smiley Happy  Thanks!

Starting Score: TU 607, EX 606, EQ 611
Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.