Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$2k Collection dropped off but came back for $144k [Florida]

tag
GalaxyStars
Regular Contributor

Re: [Florida] Collection dropped off but came back for $144k

The age factor is important in this case.

When living at an Apartment normally everyone has to sign or atlest be put on the tenant list or people occuyping the property.

If you were indeed under 17 you shouldn't have been put as a co signer or etc of the property.

That along makes you not responsible for the debt.

I would send the apartment building, Credit reports proof of you legal age during the time the document was signed, and that along should resolve the issue, if it continues then a lawyer could assist. 

Message 11 of 20
coconutcredit
Established Member

o my god see my post! I got one of these as well! Concord Management?!?
Message 12 of 20
coconutcredit
Established Member

I'm really in a bit of shock that there is some else on the boards dealing with the same situation I am. I received this letter just this weekend, so I'm assuming the have reassigned the debts and added an extra 160,000.00 to the accounts. Something is very incorrect about the posting of these accounts. Vil did you send your dispute?
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe they would make you sign the lease too!  That should have never happened.  We have a contract with a woman who has 73 rental homes here.  Yes, 73!  She has all kinds of tenants and has never asked anyone but the parents to sign the lease.  Try to get an attorney for free down here.  They will work for you.  Do anything to stop that 144k in the courts.  I know FL is rampant with this type of stuff!    And do make sure you follow that 30 days.  They really don't care down here.  You have to stay on top of everything.  Good luck and please keep us posted.  Heart

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I've been slammed! Okay to answer some questions.

I was 17 at the time I signed, they required all tenants who would be living there to sign so they know. By the time we moved out I was already 18-19, that is the only reason I never persued it, because when my parents broke the lease, I was of age. 

Someone asked how my parents damaged my credit, I was 17 years old, I wasn't aware they even broke lease until I tried to buy a car 6 years later and saw I was in collections for it. I count that as them damaging my credit. I couldn't have done anything or known.

To coconut! I'm so shocked, and YES its Concord. I got the letter this weekend as well. I'm wondering if its the same Law Firm, I don't have the letter with me as I'm at work but I'll see when I get home if its the same. I paid the 20$ to pull my reports and only 1 beurau is reporting it. But they are showing for the original amount so far.

To any wondering, no I have not sent the DV, mostly a friend told me the risks of them trying to sue or get a judgement and if they try to sue for $144k I would die. I'm only 2 year away from it dropping off so I'm not sure.

Message 15 of 20
coconutcredit
Established Member

Re: $2k Collection dropped off but came back for $144k [Florida]

Vil I'm certain it's the same one. Predatory debt practices. I went to Orange County Clerk online this morning to check records and see if Concord had been taken to court over these letters and they have once before, it was settled outside of court though. Not for wrong amounts though, the case was they sent a letter to a person after they were advised to only send information to her attorney. The letter is the exact same format they used before when it was the original amount. The words in this letter are exactly the same, but the amount is different and the law firm says "The Valle Law Firm". We should keep each other posted.
Message 16 of 20
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Wow. I never seen something like this before.  Definitely seems there are a few things wrong here.  I hope you get it worked out.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll be mailing my DV today via CMRR, but I have a question, everywhere i look says Floridas statue of limitations is 5 years. And according to my one of my reports its saying the original date was 10/2011. Does this mean in 5 months they won't be able to collect from me since it iwll be past the SOL?

This is the DV II'll be sending:

Name of CA
Address of CA
Your Account No
Date

To Whom It May Concern,

I am disputing the alleged debt owed to the account. This is a request sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b), for validation of the debt, including an itemization of the debt, and the name and address of the original creditor. 

With regards,

Your Name
Your Address
Message 18 of 20
crrredit
Established Contributor

They can sue you, and you have to show up to court and use the SOL as your defense. If you just ignore the summons, they could get a default judgement against you. If they know the SOL has expired and they still try to sue you, that could be a violation, but it's not something you should assume will protect you. 

Message 19 of 20
Kidcat
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll be mailing my DV today via CMRR, but I have a question, everywhere i look says Floridas statue of limitations is 5 years. And according to my one of my reports its saying the original date was 10/2011. Does this mean in 5 months they won't be able to collect from me since it iwll be past the SOL?

This is the DV II'll be sending:

Name of CA
Address of CA
Your Account No
Date

To Whom It May Concern,

I am disputing the alleged debt owed to the account. This is a request sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b), for validation of the debt, including an itemization of the debt, and the name and address of the original creditor. 

With regards,

Your Name
Your Address

I'm not sure about the laws in your state, but if you originally signed when you were 17 years old, and not after you should have no legal liability.  You really should consult with a lawyer.  See if you can get someone to do a free consultation.  

Last app 09/21/2021. Gardening Goal Oct 2023
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.