cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd walmart store card - keep or cancel?

tag
OneStepFurther
Established Member

2nd walmart store card - keep or cancel?

Last month while in store, I app'd for the card at the kiosk but was denied instant credit because "we are unable to process your request" (or something like that). It then told me to call the given toll free number.  Since getting a denial is not the most pleasant feeling in the world I, feeling flustered, closed out the screen and with tail between the legs and head down Smiley Sad   proceeded to go home and tend to my wounded ego.  Once I got in my car, however, I realized that they probably needed verification since I was applying in SC with a VA home address (my mail is getting forwarded to me here).  No one in the store knew what number to call so I went back to the kiosk and went through the process again, getting the same message and phone number.  I called, they verified, and said I was approved for $500 and that the card would be sent to me.  A few days later, I got a notice saying that my CR has changed and sure enough it was already reporting...but the card never came.  This was maybe 2 weeks ago. 

A few days ago, I get a letter in the mail saying that before they can process the card, I would have to call the number for verification.  I called, she said she had to ask a few questions, I told her I already went through this process, but could do it again.  She told me congratulations, I was approved for a CL of $500 and that the card would be here in 7-10 days.  I explained that I have my mail forwarded from my VA address and asked if that would be a problem.  She told me no and that I should have it closer to 10 days.

This morning I got an alert saying that there is a change on my CR. Smiley Indifferent  I went to look at my report and lo and behold, there is a 2nd TL reporting from GEMB/Walmart.  Then I realized what has happened.  Because I app'd twice, both went through as separate requests.  I called CSR back and asked them to confirm and she told me it has. I asked if she could just combine the limits into one card, she said no.  She asked if I wanted to keep the second card or cancel it.  I asked if it would be a bad thing to have (having negative future consequences) but she didn't know the answer.  I told her to send it anyway, since it's already reporting and I'd figure out what to do with it. 

So my question to you guys is this...(I'm rebuilding and don't have any experience with GEMB cards) would this 2nd card, help, hurt or not matter? I've read where the CLIs are pretty consistant but I'm wondering if having the 2nd would change that?  Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 2nd walmart store card - keep or cancel?

Do you have any other CCs?

Message 2 of 5
OneStepFurther
Established Member

I have 2 bank cards that will be 6 mos old March and April (Cap1 which will incr to 1000 and BBRZ 300).  I also have a Macys that is over a year at 1700 and Bloomingdales 400.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I bet if you called and escalated to a CSR, then you'd probably would have a chance to close it and have it deleted. I had a store card (Macys) open an account in error and it was easy to get it removed, if I opted for that (and didn't).

Or you could keep it. They are decent with CLIs every 3-4 payments and good history. Any credit ding would be short-term and would go away by a year.

Message 4 of 5
OneStepFurther
Established Member

So it probably wouldn't hurt in the long run?  I've read that they're good on CLIs and being consistant, I was just wondering if, because I would have 2 cards, they would be less consistant or generous.  It was only one inquiry so it didn't hurt me that way.

Thanks for your input!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.