Did you mean: 

3 Cards Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3 Cards Question

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OK I've been doing a lot of reading tonight. One of the things I saw was that having 3 CC would help me rebuild my credit. I only have one Low Limit Card (400) that I have been paying religiously since I got the card(6 months). It was my first card since I got into financial trouble in 2012.

I would like to figure out the best route. I am interested in getting a Harley Davidson rewards card. They have 3 cards. A Prime, a Standard and a Secured Card. (Yes I ride, and while the motorcycle might sound like a luxury, it saves me 200/month in commuting costs)

I am fine with just getting a secured card, but I don't know if I can just ask for that directly. I don't want to go for the standard and get declined(with the hard pull) and then be offered the secured card.

Are there any cards that you suggest? I don't have problems with secured cards unless they make a difference to the CBs and FICO scores.

Thanks in advance!

Don't be afraid of a hard pull - they are AT WORST, a temporary minor ding that lasts only 12 months. I've yet to see a HP *actually* effect my scores and I'm in double digits. I would suggest, if your scores are in the high 500's/low 600's to apply for a Capital One card, and see where that takes you. Much easier to get than the HD unsecured card. Once that reports and pushes your scores up some more, then try for the HD unsecured card, and if you don't get it, then get the secured version.

Don't go getting secured cards just because you *think* you might get declined. Do so because you HAVE been declined.

He was approved for QS1 Norman.

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilder cards.  I would go for one without an annual fee (or could be withdrawn months down the road) because you want to keep the card open as long as possible to keep a good older trade line open!

Personally, I did Capital One Platinum, no AF, then PC'd to Quicksilver for 1.5% Cashback AND no AF.  No worries keeping it open for several years as it doesn't cost me anything. 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Well I applied for teh QuickSilver line and got a $300 line of credit. Smiley Happy

Ya Gotta start somewhere. Is there anyway I could check to see the reports they pulled and the scores on them?

Thanks!!!

They generally only provide a score for their decision if its a denial.

I would suggest doing a 7 day trial from Credit Check Total for $1 and get your FICO 8 scores.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok - since you already got the QS1 from Capital One - go ahead and apply for the the platinum card too - they should use the same pull - so either you get a card or not -but only pull all three bureaus ONCE instead of twice.

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ok - since you already got the QS1 from Capital One - go ahead and apply for the the platinum card too - they should use the same pull - so either you get a card or not -but only pull all three bureaus ONCE instead of twice.

That's not guaranteed....

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed - and HP's should not be a concern at this stage of the game anyway.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed - and HP's should not be a concern at this stage of the game anyway.

+1

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't say it was guaranteed - only that they SHOULD use the same pulls.   Anything can happen......It's worth the risk at this stage of the game - and like Norman said - HP's shouldn't be your deciding factor on applying anyway - it is just a shot that MIGHT keep you from a second set of pulls.   Nothing says your guaranteed the 2nd card either.   My husband was denied on his second application - but it was worth the try because they only pulled his scores once for both apps

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't say it was guaranteed - only that they SHOULD use the same pulls.   Anything can happen......It's worth the risk at this stage of the game - and like Norman said - HP's shouldn't be your deciding factor on applying anyway - it is just a shot that MIGHT keep you from a second set of pulls.   Nothing says your guaranteed the 2nd card either.   My husband was denied on his second application - but it was worth the try because they only pulled his scores once for both apps

You didn't say it wasn't either. Just want to give the new member an understanding of all his/her options and understandings.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.