cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 badies well past statute of limitations, can't dispute??

tag
spruceGREY

3 badies well past statute of limitations, can't dispute??

Hi folks. You've been an enormous help in the past, enabling me to move from subprime to prime. Now that my scores are (or were before this week) above 700 I tend to check my credit reports more. A new one has popped up and combined with two old ones that I just can't get rid of. It's driving me crazy. Here they are:

- AFNI - From a Verizon account I had in 2003. That's right, 2003. $175. Should be well beyond the statute of limitations (statute of limitations for written contract in Pennsylvania is 4 years).

- AFNI - From another Verizon account I cosigned, also in 2003. $175.

I've contacted all three bureas by mail to dispute these as obsolete. EQ took one off, the did others nothing. EQ says the other is set to fall off in July.

I also had a US Department of Education loan of $1300 from 2001 that would never fall off. A collection agency picked it up. I called them two months ago to ask for a lump sum settlement. They dropped off the interest of a few hundred dollars and it now shows as "settled for less than full amount" on EX, and not at all on the other reports.

I checked last night to see if the US student loan would show as paid yet and what do I see? A new item reporting as being in collections - $11,500 from the for-profit school I went to, again in 2001. This is WAY past statute of limitations as it is a private loan, and it has NEVER shown up before at any time. The name on it was "Tate & Kirlin Associates."

So I called Tate & Kirlin. I asked about this. They said they are a non-reporting agency so it's not from them. What?? So how did it get there? "We don't know." Then I asked them the last date of activity on the account they are trying to collection. They said the loan defaulted in 2003. Again, well past the statute of limitations. They had no further advice.

So obviously I want to dispute this with EX. But guess what, I can't. Here's why.

I'm in Japan and will be here for work at least another six months. I guess the foreign IP means you can't log in to dispute EX online. So how about calling in? You can't unless you've purchased a report directly from them in the last 90 days and have the number from it. So I tried to purchase one. Again, can't because of the forign IP.

What should I do here??

Thanks much for any help you can offer!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: 3 badies well past statute of limitations, can't dispute??

The CRTP is 7.5 yrs maximum from the DOFD. CAs & JDBs must operate off the OCs DOFD as well. If these are past the CRTP you demand that they be removed or you will file a CFPB complaint. Since you are out of the country your only viable option is snail mail.  Anything that is past your states SOL you can just send a C&D or FOAD letter to the CA/JDB if you dont want to hear from them anymore.

Message 2 of 4
spruceGREY

I don't have any proof of anything since like I said these are things from over a decade ago.

I've searched AFNI Inc and found hundreds of complaints that they report and try to collection well after Statue of Limitations is up and reporting time period is over with.

Similar with "Tate & Kirlin & Associates" that is suddenly reporting private student loan debt from 2003.

I have drawn up both validation request letters and FOAD letters. Which would be better to send to each?

I will also dispute with the credit reporting agencies by mail.

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@spruceGREY wrote:

I don't have any proof of anything since like I said these are things from over a decade ago.

I've searched AFNI Inc and found hundreds of complaints that they report and try to collection well after Statue of Limitations is up and reporting time period is over with.

Similar with "Tate & Kirlin & Associates" that is suddenly reporting private student loan debt from 2003.

I have drawn up both validation request letters and FOAD letters. Which would be better to send to each?

I will also dispute with the credit reporting agencies by mail.

Collectors can collect forever the SOL is your sffirmative defense if they sue... In your case any CA that is dunning past the SOL just send a FOAD letter to them, any CA that is still inside the SOL use the DV.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.