Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 collections, 2 are very small $$$

tag
jwright343
New Contributor

3 collections, 2 are very small $$$

First time here folks, congrats to all of you for being financially smart Smiley Happy  I've been rebuilding credit now for three years.  Score is ~ 700 at all 3.  I have 3 collections on my account.  1800$ medical bill, 75$ library fine, 150$ medical bill.  The latter 2 are SO small and I could handle them locally.  Been doing my resarch on the pay for delete route.  I'm debating it, however, I do know that once things are in 'collections land', we should NOT pay them a dime cause it's on the record regardless.  Hell, even if it says paid in full, I'd be fine with that being they're such small amounts. 

I know not this thread, if anyone could direct me in requesting AND getting a CL increase.  I haven't had one from capital one in YEARS.  I think my scores are high enough to get NEW credit if I wanted.  But, I'd prefer to not have new cards and just raise the limits.  I also have a PNC card.  Thanks for all of your help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: 3 collections, 2 are very small $$$

@jwright343 wrote:

First time here folks, congrats to all of you for being financially smart Smiley Happy  I've been rebuilding credit now for three years.  Score is ~ 700 at all 3.  I have 3 collections on my account.  1800$ medical bill, 75$ library fine, 150$ medical bill.  The latter 2 are SO small and I could handle them locally.  Been doing my resarch on the pay for delete route.  I'm debating it, however, I do know that once things are in 'collections land', we should NOT pay them a dime cause it's on the record regardless.  Hell, even if it says paid in full, I'd be fine with that being they're such small amounts. 

I know not this thread, if anyone could direct me in requesting AND getting a CL increase.  I haven't had one from capital one in YEARS.  I think my scores are high enough to get NEW credit if I wanted.  But, I'd prefer to not have new cards and just raise the limits.  I also have a PNC card.  Thanks for all of your help.

The unpaid collections on your report are on your record and SHOULD be addressed if you have the funds.  Asking for and receiving a PFD is the best way to handle collection accounts.  Under manual review a paid collection looks better than an unpaid collection account.   

As far as requesting a CLI, again your chances vastly approve once you've addressed the derogs.  You can google the CEO of Capital One to ask for a CLI 

Message 2 of 5
SSPA87
Regular Contributor

In my experience,  medical bills are VERY good about doing PFDs.  The Library fine may not do a PFD ... BUT if you pay it in full, then GW them, they are likely to remove it.  I had one earlier this year, paid it then sent GW.  They said they could not remove it from my credit reports at that time but would automatically remove it after 1 year of paid status... but a few months later, it disappeared from my credit reports.  Well before the year that they had told me.  I am not complaining!  :-)

You should be able to successfully PFD all your collections, at least based on my experiences.  My medical ones were very easy to get to do a PFD. 

Starting Scores: EQ (MyFico): 561 TU (MyFico): 579 - 2/15/13
Rebuilding Scores: EQ (MyFico): 597 (6/11/13) TU (MyFico): 606 (6/12/13)
Current Scores: EQ : 665 TU : 649 EX : 704

Cards: SDFCU $250 | Cap1 Secured $750 | Victorias Secret $500 | Amex BCE $4k | Chase FU $2k | Cap1 QS $1k | PenFed Promise $3.5k | Wayfair $1k | Care Credit $1k
Message 3 of 5
jwright343
New Contributor

thanks for your insight.  i have heard though that the problem w/ medical collections is even if you do pay them and it may be deleted or not, they just turn around and sell the remaining balance to another CA.  I've been reading some other posts waiting on someone to answer.  It appears that the library CA is actually here in my home state of Indiana.  maybe that will help my cause Smiley Happy ....... 

Message 4 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@jwright343 wrote:

thanks for your insight.  i have heard though that the problem w/ medical collections is even if you do pay them and it may be deleted or not, they just turn around and sell the remaining balance to another CA.  I've been reading some other posts waiting on someone to answer.  It appears that the library CA is actually here in my home state of Indiana.  maybe that will help my cause Smiley Happy ....... 

If you have a PFD there is not a remaining balance to sell to another CA.  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.