cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 installments...will this hurt my score?

tag
brianj31

3 installments...will this hurt my score?

i have a car loan that I've been paying on for about a year now. I recently co-signed on a car loan for my wife and also took out a personal loan for 5,000. Will this have a negative impact on my score? I have a few credit cards with only one reporting a balance.. Thanks for your help!! 

Im a long time lurker lol this is my first post. Last year my scores were in the 500s but thanks to this forum I'm now in the upper 600s!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 3 installments...will this hurt my score?

@brianj31 wrote:

i have a car loan that I've been paying on for about a year now. I recently co-signed on a car loan for my wife and also took out a personal loan for 5,000. Will this have a negative impact on my score? I have a few credit cards with only one reporting a balance.. Thanks for your help!! 

Im a long time lurker lol this is my first post. Last year my scores were in the 500s but thanks to this forum I'm now in the upper 600s!!

I do not believe that Fico will penalize you just on the basis of having 3 installment loans. What will hurt you with Fico scoring is that you've incurred more debt an it will affect your credit utilization in a negative way until you get the balances paid down on the loans. You will also be affected negatively from a non-fico standpoint as your debt to income will be affected and while Fico cannot recognize that, lenders can.

Message 2 of 5
brianj31

Ok. Thank you for your input!! 

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

You can be penalized for having too many open installment loans but its not 3 AFAIK.

Message 4 of 5
brianj31

Awesome! I was worried about that..

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.